300x250

10 March 2009

Training Camp Day 16, Physically Cracked




Didn't want to admit it but I think I have reached a respectable level of physical and mental crackness. I did 3.5 hrs today. Rode up to the top of the Coll de Soller. It's a beautiful climb. On the descent I caught onto the back of a bottled water truck. Nothing like speed work on the Majorcan road system. Motorpacing at 80km/h behind a truck takes a mix of confidence, risk taking, and a little bit of teenage invincibility. It was quite fun though. I was literally spinning my 53x12 at 140+rpm. Needed an 11t cog to make it fun. I backed off b/c It was getting a little too much, and I wasn't in the total risk taking mood due to not really knowing what was ahead, but a 3km behind the truck was fun and a quick way to get back home.

The nasal infection I had last week which went into hiatus on Friday, Saturday and Sunday has come back as an evil transformation. Otherwise known as a URI, or Upper Respiratory Infection. I like to call it Black Lung but I'm not a smoker. Nevertheless, its a bit frustrating and motivation conqueror. I pushed on through today knowing that I will take a rest period of a few days once I return to Backnang. Its important that one finds their limits. My Majorcan training camp has definitely heightened my level of pain along with increasing the mental strength that is critical for me to reach my potential. So with 15 days of riding and over 1800kms, I think I have reached some new levels. We will see in a few weeks when I begin to realize this work.

Tonight, I had my "dinner date" with Doreen. It was a much hyped event among the british crowd. It turned out to be a very unveiling dinner but also a very enjoyable experience. Doreen has many of the same quailities and ideals that I follow. It's always funny how your impression of someone can be changed after a long conversation with them. I will definitely remember her and her warm personality.

Tomorrow I fly back to Germany. Spain is great, but I am very eager to settle into Backnang and begin racing and training with my team. First race back is 29 March. My little URI will hopefully be cured by then. I should be well recovered and into the next phase of my training and preperation.

Chow,
Matthew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute picture of you and Doreen. =) That date must have been the highlight of her trip!
~Kristi

dave said...

hi from one of the Brits (the little guy)you met at Ayron Park. Interesting reading, so much detail from such a quiet person!
good luck with your racing in Europe
and Kristi- it was the highlight of Doreen's trip, but we never found out what they talked about!
lycka till
dave