300x250

07 March 2009

Training Camp Day 13, Choke Wind is Dead






So the winds finally subsided here in the Med and we were blessed with an insane amount of sun. Still some wind but not the 30-50km/h stuff of the past few days. Went out for a leg opener as I am racing tomorrow. Good sensations. I couldn't believe how well I felt and the power I was putting out. Good things I hope.

I returned and gobbled up some euro Arroz con Leche. Its the new go to recovery food. Erik Zabel eats it so it must be good. Then I tried to take a nap but managed to only keep my eyes closed for about 45min. Went out for a cafe con leche and touched the waters of the Mediterranean Sea. Lame? Maybe, but have you ever been in the Med? Well, I have now.

I'm continually amazed with the amount of bike bling that is on this island. Apart from a Grand Tour, I don't think there is as much total value of bicycles in any square km else in the world. Just sitting and drinking my cafe con leche you see an enormous amount of money go whizzing by each minute. And its not just the frames, these guys and gals are rocking carbon deep dish rims. I don't get that. Pros don't train on carbon deep dish rims or carbon rims in general. Why should we? I guess its making up for what they lack elsewhere. You still have to make the legs spin fast to make the bike go fast. But I guess to each his/her own.

The Columbia-High Road rider, Frantisek Rabon just won a big tt yesterday. He was here at the hotel last week with his keeper, ie father.

Well, I gots to get going. Early breakfast in the am, 0630 as I am getting picked up by the race promoter at 0730 for a race start of 0900. Should be good.

Pics are from the beach outside the hotel and from breakfast...nutella with dried bananas on toast and oatmeal.

Ciao,
Matthew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in your race!!

Love,
Megan