300x250

20 March 2009

Pause, Deutsch for Rest



Photos from a homemade spirits(liquor, whiskey, not really sure) stand at the Mittwoch(wednesday) market in Backnang. He shared some of his cured meats with me too. Kind of a like selling your moonshine.

My mandated fünf tage pause ist gut (5 day rest period is good). Ich hatte gut schlafe dis morgen(I had a good sleep this morning). So I am not sure if my grammar is up to speed but my vocabulary is improving. Yesterday was a busy day of board game playing in the afternoon with Alina. I also played horseshoes with Tim and a little fußball with him im garten(in the garden). I won several tough matches of Memory and Disney UNO! But both Heinz and Alina were tough competitors in UNO! It was a stalemate between Alina and I at Dominos.

I have been researching language learning classes here because I think it will really help me to take an actual class while I am here. In each stadt(city) is a Volkschule or learning school for the community. They offer everything from language, political, cooking, health, and numerous other classes. But it's very inexpensive. I am going to register for the Deutsch für Fremdsprache which is German for Non-Natives. Its part of the German Integration program. Europe has a language pathways program where you take certain classes and tests then get certified. I will start with A1.1 then move into A2 then A3. Next is B1 and all the way up to C. Its a standard framework for language learning. Its a great alternative I think to the high priced private schools. I will continue to supplement the classes with my private tutors: the Sandwalds!

Gretel made würst spätzle last night. It was really good. On Somstag(Sunday), I will cook an Indian meal for the Sandwalds, Kristi, and a few people from the team. It should be exciting and fun evening.

Tomorrow, I am going to Winnendon mit Marc to make food at the hospital for the community gathering to honor those that were killed last week. Marc works at the hospital next to the school and we are making food for a couple of thousand people. Many high-level political figures are expected to turn up to pay respects and give guidance to the community. It will be quite an early start as we must arrive at 4:30 in the morning. But we should be finished by proper frühstück (breakfast) time. Then in the afternoon we will go to the race in Nürtingen. It's a practice race. I will just be there to show support as I am resting till Montag(monday). Then in the afternoon is the big par-tay for Alina. So far, Sandra and Karin have not been invited. Hopefully that will change.

Tonight we are joining Johanna(Shimano person) for a Schwäbisch meal at a very popular restaurant. It should be exciting. Hopefully I will catch some pictures. Sunday, Kristi arrives!

Chow,
Matthew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great opportunity to learn some German recipes and give back to your newly adopted community in the process. Can't wait to see you!! =)
~Kristi

mom said...

Sounds like an eventful day. Have fun, be safe. Love, Mom