300x250

23 February 2009

Training Camp Day 1

Early arrival this morning in Majorca. 0751. Eating breakfast at the hotel by 0900 and on the bike by 1115. Not too bad. Got in a total of just over 4hrs. Pretty stiff headwind most of the day. Decided to head east along the island. Goal was to get in 4hrs endurance pace and just get the legs opened up. Haven't been able to ride so much in the past few days so it was great to get out. About 10km from the city of Arenal, which is where my hotel is, I caught a group of german and french riders. They looked to be moving pretty quick. After riding into the wind all alone all day, it was a welcome sight to push up the watts and hammer it the last few kms and see how I felt. Good sensations. Having been and trained at altitude over the last year and just another year of fitness, I was very pleased with the power I was putting out at the end of the ride. I bridged up to the group then was chatting with a german rider who actually lives nearby me in Stuttgart. I ended up dropping him as I pulled "us" back to the group after we dropped back 100m. I think they were a little surprised at who I was. Kind of fun.

Majorca is quite a place. If they had snow skiing it would be my perfect place. Amazing cycling and the sailing looks to be incredible. I saw the German and UK 470 and 49er teams at the supermercado and on the street. They are just down the road from my hotel. Both are Olympic class so pretty damn good sailors.

The hotel is filled with many Czech riders. The hotel is the base for a Czech Cycling Camp during the spring months. Lots of pros and u23 and other elite amateurs amongst the Czechs. Several Germans, Brits, Scots, and Irish. I think I am the lone American, ohh well, typical I guess. Majorca is just amazing for riding. Weather is incredible and so many different opportunities to train. Lots of pros make their late winter european base here. I'm thinking of making it my european winter base as well. So far its been a gastronomic success. Before today, I have never seen baked beans and little sausages served for breakfast. Well, check that off the list. I stole two small rolls from the breakfast room this morning and spread a little nutella on them. Nice treat while riding. They have nutella in little single serving packets like we have jam. For dinner, I had a majorcan soup with lentils, potatoe and pork of some sort. Very delicious. The main course was a goulash looking thing with potatoes, mushrooms, pork, peas. It was in a tomato sauce of sorts. I think it was spanish b/c I asked the attendant but i can't remember what she said. Looked kind of like a paella but I don't think it was. Rice was on the side.

A Team Columbia pro is here as well along with some PSK Whirlpool riders. The Columbia riders had his watchers with him this morning. For dinner, I think he was with his dad. His Scott is pretty tricked out with DA wheels and new DA10spd with SRM. Frantisek Rabon is the guy. Pretty good palmares for a young pro.

I got the word about a good training ride tomorrow morning with some Germans and Dutch riders. Not sure what to expect but it will be good to get some leg speed and long kms.

Ciao,
Mateo

No comments: