300x250

24 February 2009

Day 2, Training with the Dutch

Today I got word about a training ride leaving from La Terreza. You have to have special permission to get into some of these rides. Fortunately, I know people who know people who know the person. And it worked out. Ride started out like any proper euro training ride...2x2 with follow car for extra clothes, food, and wheels. I settled in nicely. Legs recovered quite well from yesterday's ride and travel. The plan was to do 5 hrs and head to the mountains. We were getting some very light drizzle, not even rain but it was enough to wet the roads. Anywhere else, it just means throw on the raincape. Here the roads are very dangerous when they get wet and apparently there was snow at the top of the mountains. Crazy...So we were doing the rollers all throughout the central part of the island then did the climb up Randa Cura which tops at 543m. 5km climb at 5,8%. The climb really starts about 9km out but they only list it at the base village. They dutch rider next to me asked if I was a good climber. I joked, "we will see." I was pretty pleased. Able to stay with the early attacks and finished 5th out of 22 riders. Wasn't feeling super but pleased with effort. Two Katusha riders were doing repeats. They rode past me at the summit. The one guy was a huge rider with long locks. He was just pushing over a huge gear at probably 70-75rpm. Wicked...Saw some other pros on the route: Cervelo Test and Caisse Espargne. After we finished the climb at the cathedral, the dutch rider who made it up first said, "good climbing." I was pretty pleased and surprised to hear it.

We hit the rollers after that. Each time, putting a proper 10min at the front before rolling to the back. I ended up spending a few extra efforts on the front b/c of the disorganization at a few turn points. Good for training. This one dutch rider I spoke to quite a bit was telling me about his training and his capabilities. The power numbers he said he could put out in the lab were a little skewed on what I saw on the road. Labs are for scientists, the road is where the real riding is. So read that as you will on what I think about lab testing. So when we were on the front, I was putting out a good high threshold effort, feeling strong and his Polar is blowing up. I was watching his heart rate on my SRM(super secret racing weapon). It was at 192 bpm. Now he is 68kg as he says. The power he was saying he could put out based upon where his heart rate should land him a pro tour contract this afternoon. Its funny how people overspeak of their capabilities. He also said he preferred 25% gradients, 20% was just not enough for him to really do well. WTF? Who enjoys racing at 25% gradients? Only the 57kg italian and spanish climbers. But I'm not going to bash the guy, he was super nice. Just pretty funny.

On the last 10km, we revved it up and the attacks were one after the other. Having been at the front for nearly 10min when it started I knew it was going to be tough. Able to stay with the front group of a few by the finish. It became quite apparent what I was missing when I was in the kermesse scene in 2007. Not now...In the end, 5hrs, 160km, 3200kjs. Pretty good day. Legs still feel good. Eating properly on the bike, ie eating for tomorrow, riding for today.

I'm trying to be as professional as possible while here. Which means proper cleaning of bike and recovery after training. I bought some muesli and leche at the supermercado last night for recovery. I forgot to steal a spoon from breakfast this morning. I managed to drink the leche and muesli from the water glass in the room. Refrigerator for the leche? Forgetaboutit...I just place the leche outside in the shade. 3ºc low tonight and high of only 16ºc. In the shade the leche will keep. Let's hope =) At the supermercado today I bought some muesli bars: apricot/almond and a chocolate one. Needed a little change from the clif and powerbar stuff. Going to have to run a super covert op in the breakfast room tomorrow to get some rolls with queso and jamon.

Dinner tonight was a delicious pesca. I think I probably at an entire fish after the number of filets I ate. So fresh! The steak didn't look as good. Had a bit of flan for desert and an orange. The oranges here are worth enough to come to the island itself. I have never had such fresh, sweet tasting narajanes sp? in my life. Missed the kiwi fruit. Tomorrow, more proactive with the kiwi hunt.

Ciao,
Mateo

1 comment:

Christopher Cummings said...

you're living the dream baby, sounds like the form is there.