300x250

24 May 2008

Just Go Higher

On Thursday, I decided to go for a 3-4hr tempo ride. Legs came around after a while but still little tight from the tt the night before. Goal was to head up CO-7 from Lyons to CO-72(Peak to Peak) then cruise to Ward then back down. Weather forecasts were thunderstorms throughout the day. Having been in the Bay Area for the last 3 years, its been awhile since I've experienced a good thunderstorm. Climb started off nice. Its basically a 16mi climb from about 5300 to 8300 ft. Nothing too steep but its very exposed as opposed to the Left Hand Canyon climb which is tucked away between the pines. After about 8mi, I could see the darkening of the clouds as if it was the day of reckoning. I pressed on. Soon I got a little bit of frozen precip on my jersey. It stopped, and I decided to pursue my effort b/c this is a training and I need to get stronger. Well, about 2mi from the summit, it starts coming down quicker...roads are wet, but I'm feeling good and wanting to clear the summit. I hit the summit and the shit hits the fan so to speak. At this point, its hailing and the roads are super wet. I begin my descent, not wanting to press the limiters today. Hail picks up, now its whiteout. Fortunately, my long sleeve jersey is keeping some body temperature in house. Still can't escape the artillery fire of mother nature. Thoughts running through head,

"wow, this was stupid...Suck it up matthew...the road is covered with ice...damn this hurts...suck it up...Hampsten did it in the Giro...a hot shower will be awesome...focus matthew...should I stop?...no place to stop...need to get lower...damn its really coming down now...ohh theres that woman I passed earlier...no time to stop and chat...how much further?....ahhh, dry roads...why can't I feel my hands and why are there red marks all over my body?...come on legs you have to work a little more...wow, i'm freakin hungry and cold..."


So I ended up making it back safe. Legs were just about useless after i hit the dry stuff in Lyons. Eventually made it home and the shower was good but the hail left a lasting impression on my baby soft skin.

Lessons learned: when its getting dicey as you go higher, ummm don't get higher b/c the mountains will punish you.

Ciao,
Roberto

No comments: