300x250

02 May 2008

Call me Roberto...

So the Gila results after Day-1 refer to me as Roberto Barrowclough. Nice...

Tough ride today. I thought everything was set on the bike then as it is a mechanical device things are bound to go disarray. As soon as I jumped out of the starting gate, I had a problem with my wheel. Immediately had to stop and fix it. Needless to say, it cost me about 30s. I think I did a good job of not worrying about it the rest of the ride but its still frustrating to lose so much in just 10ft. I was running a 55/11 as my top-end with 38mm carbon tubulars but I was still not fast enough on the descent. There was a guy running a disc in front of me with just a 53 and I was killing it and he didn't seem to be going as hard. Eventually I passed him although he started 1.5min behind me. He had a Cervelo so its gotta be a fast bike or I just have awful aerodynamics.

I finished up 36th, conceding a few more minutes. I'm 22nd overall. Hopefully the legs will turn my way on Sunday and I can put in a hella good ride. I definitely need to spend more time on the tt bike. this is just a damn hard race and so much can happen. Tomorrow morning is the criterium. Don't want to burn to many matches but if the option presents itself, I'm going to go for it. Boost my motivation some. Sunday wil just be hella hard though. I cracked last year, don't want to let that happen again.

Chow,
Matthew aka Roberto

No comments: