300x250

06 May 2008

Gila Recap

Well, I'm back at kitchen table downing some koffee and blogging away. Gila was everything I imagined and didn't imagine. One the way home, Eric and I were talking about how you just don't go and do Gila. The destroys everyone that isn't 100% in the head and in the legs. I ended up 24th overall. I was expecting a better result but sometimes things just go awry and don't work out. Fortunately, I learned a lot and gained some great fitness.

After half-recovering from my little pavement interview on Saturday I was able to secure a Orbea Orca from Chad at SRAM Neutral Support. Chad wasn't suppose to give me the ride b/c the bikes were to be used only for the Pro/1 category. Race leader, Tom Zirbel would have needed it had he broken his bike(coincidently he did but also his collarbone and rib) thuse removing him from the stage midway on Sunday. I was told to be careful and not wreck it. Its quite a unique thing, this neutral support. Here I am, an amatuer rider and they give me a $6k bike to race. No other sport would do such a thing. It was outfitted with SRAM Rival. I must admit, I wasn't took keen on the SRAM shifting. Lost some positions b/c I couldn't shift properly but otherwise the bike was super light and stiff. But I really didn't push it except on the descents which were a little dicey but my tubulars held me nicely.

The last stage is arguably the hardest as they refer to it as the Gila Monster. I struggled early on in the day feeling short of breath. I said a few quick prayers before the final climb. Although I couldn't match the pace of the lead group I rode much better than I expected. Ended up picking my way through the death march on the climb and settling in a group of 5 riders. Eventually, the guatamalan climber dudes and I pulled away and had a 3 man chase to the lead group. They weren't the best descenders. We worked alright together, I was suprised they didn't work me over more since they were both on the same team. We rotated nicely but I had to keep going to the front when the pace dropped on the downhill. About 2.5miles from the finish we picked up another spanish speaking rider, so its me, 2 guatamalans, and a mexican. Fitting, that I was always referred to as Roberto in the results
At about 2miles to go, the 5 riders behind us caught us which surprised me. As my two guatamalans rested and drank and the group settled in, I immediately attacked. Why? I didn't like the situation and I thought that it would be a good time to go since everyone let their guard down. I ended up getting about 15s but was caught with about 1.5k to go. It was sad. I probably would have had a better finish(30th on the day) had I not attacked and waited for the final uphill sprint. But I needed to feel that I could be aggressive. I have always doubted my sprinting, but lately I have been doing better on my finishing sprint, so maybe i should learn to play that card rather than doubting myself.

Well, it was a hard 5 days but enjoyable. Today, Shawn and I are going to go on the mtn bikes. It will be a good change of pace.

Yesterday Shawn sent me this great quote. After reading it several times, I know that eventually things will start to roll my way. Hard work and sacrafice eventually will pay off but you have to believe there is a pearl in that shell.

Ciao,
Roberto

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
~Michael Jordan

No comments: