300x250

28 February 2008

Whoa...Two Ramblings in One Day

Training agenda for today was threshold. Most amateurs don't train this aspect enough. Probably because its a more time-sensitive workout. Threshold can be trained to a much higher level than the VO2 stuff which is limited highly to genetic code, not to say its not trainable. But lactic threshold can see more substantial gains. Your lactic threshold, LT, is basically the highest power you can sustain for a period typically greater than 10min. Anything less taps to much into anaerobic. So why train LT? A good LT will allow you to ride in higher "race" zones w/o going into the red too early. Its also super important for solid climbing and especially time trial efforts.

I decided to roll up to Left Hand Canyon for my 3 20min efforts. I was hoping for light winds, but my hopes went down the drain when I rolled out the door with a nasty 15-30mph breeze from the W-SW. It basically doubled my warmup but thats okay I guess. When i rolled onto Left Hand, which is probably one of the more popular climbs, i thought the canyon would provide some relief. Well, it provided relief only to b-slap me around unforseen turns. I was working on keeping my power decay negative, or zero power decay with the last effort being the highest output. I was doing really well keeping the efforts in check w/o blowing too early. I've been working on pacing myself better and trying to maitain a flat to upward power curve rather than a downward sloping. On the last one, I laid it all out and buried myself. The winds made it difficult b/c I was constantly shifting up or down. Not cog to cog, but 53 to 39 with a 15 to 19. The gruppo held up but its not so good for avg power. I did what i could and left it all out on the road which all one can ask for.

Tomorrow is a "feet up" day as per my Director Sportif, DS, Shawn. I'm going to use the nice day to explore Denver a little bit. I'm going to do the green thing and take the bus. Should be fun. Hopefully i will get some nice photos.

Chow,
Matthew

No comments: