300x250

13 April 2009

Rund um Schönaich

The awesome support crew!
Leif Lampater, teammate, in the early break
The climb
Post climb
The mayhem before the climb, check out that caravan
Just before the Ziel...
Me giving it a go...I did much better climbing seated than trying to stand. Saved my legs for the top when you had to continue going full gas.

This morning was the first big race of the year and LBS Cup. 126km of Monday morning bliss. Germany is on holiday today due to Osternmontag(Easter Monday). Crowds were in full effect along with huge finish blowup banner a la pro style of the usual loud speakers centered around the course with a commentator going nonstop from his booth at the Start/Ziel(start/finish). I must say that the crowds were unreal. The course was a 9km loop with many ups and downs. At the finish, there was a 400m climb that was approaching 12%. Crowds literally lined from the top to the bottom yelling, making noise, and of course encouraging. You couldn't help but drive hard. After you crest the top it was pretty fast through the village then slight descent with cross winds before a hard left then up and down fast through a village again before going back up then down before the final push up to the finish line. It was fast and on those climbs and descents. The field was single file for 70% of the race. Afterwards, my teammates said that it was one of the hardest. Over 200 starters. All the largest teams represented in the area. I finished in the 3rd group. With 6 laps to go I was starting to cramp and by the last two laps, the quads were not too happy. On the last time up, I managed to distance myself from the group I was with and finish solo so that was good.

It was a hard race, but I know I belong here. Next time I need to be sure to take my electrolyte pills to halt the cramping. But its all a learning experience. Nächste rennen(next race) at Waldrems nächste Sontag. Its a 2.5km circuit race. Very narrow roads. Its just 8km from the house so I'm excited about that.

Yesterday was the big Ostern celebration at Casa de Sanwald. The whole crew was over for kaffee und kuchen at 1500 then afterwards we went outside for the big hunt. Alena and Tim did the hunting, but I did manage to find a little suprise for myself. I felt like a big deal. Afterwards, Karin und Heinz served up a tasty abendessen. It was Schwäbisch I believe. We had bröt mit zwei fleisch(two meats). One was stuffed with käse and the other paprika(red pepper). It was muy delicious and provided some good energy for today's battles.
The Man Himself, Heinz Sanwald
The Hunt is On!


Chow,
Matthew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet pics and keep up the hard work! Miss ya!

Love,
Megan

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures. I hope you saved some of the eggs for the children. I know how you are when the "hunt" begins. Keep up the good work. Be safe. Love, Mom