300x250

04 April 2009

Eve of Racing

So I'm going to race tomorrow. I didn't think it was possible as I've yet to fully figure out the whole German Cycling Association way of registering. In the US we can pre-reg by paying with credit card, no problem. You can also reg day of and pay a little bit more but it works. Only a few races actually sell out. Well here you must register 2weeks prior and have money wired from a bank account. And not knowing that I had teammates going to the race until yesterday, I guess I kind of dropped the ball. But the point is that I am racing tomorrow and super eager to race. Just another lost in translation moment you could say.

The masses were out in Backnang today as the Zentrum was crawling with men, women, kids, street vendors, and farmers selling produce. Quite a beautiful sight to see as my last weekend visit to the Zentrum would have been confused with a ghost town. All the cafe seats were taken up and it was just gorgeous to see. I'm kind of a cafe person. The choice for many was kaffee mit milche or latte macchiato which is probably the most popular speciality espresso drink here in Germany. Its served in a glass similar to a pint glass and oozes with goodness. Sandra made one for me a few weeks ago. I just rolled by the sights and sounds as I was finishing up my tune-up ride prior to tomorrow's race in Bayern, yep that's Bavaria for my American peeps. I'm going to roll out with teammates Timur and Elmar. I've been riding pretty well this week so hopefully something will come together tomorrow.

On a much lighter note...I was watching the BBC this morning while consuming kaffee. Big NATO meeting close by in Strasbourg, France which borders Germany. Here is the scene...German chancellor does formal greeting of each political dignitary or hotshot if you will. So its pretty formal and straightforward. Polzei accompany each car and each person is ushered up to the chancellor...take photo, exchange fake smiles, and shake hands. Well now comes the Italy dignitary. Door opens, he steps out with cell phone against ear and rapping off some italian. He turns and walks away...German doesn't know what to do or how to react...BBC commentators having a hayday at questioning his gutso at taking a call during this event....minutes pass, Chancellor looks upset...new cars arrive...time passes...italian still on phone...all dignitaries arrive and leave for the meeting...italian still talking while standing near the river...meeting commences...italian not present, still talking on cell.

Pretty much the most politically hilarious thing I have seen in a long time. The Italian had quite a bit of bravado to pull off such a stunt. Quite disrespectful. I'm not going to get on my high horse about cell phone use when in public or within the company of friends or others but just suffice it to say that his move would have been no bueno. Don't be that person next time you are at some international summit on live television or if you are with your friends.

Chow,
Claw

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow - have a great race!
Alice & John

Anonymous said...

Next time I'm at an international summit, I'll definitely be sure to turn my handy off!! ;-) Go-osh, What a loser!
~Kristi

Anonymous said...

another great blog. muy bueno mi hermano

-miguel