300x250

06 April 2009

Cross Training mit Deutsch Lernen

Since Marc is in Mallorca, I filled in as a über special guest instructor in his Monday spin class. I spent an hour before the class writing down a game plan but more importantly writing down key phrases and words. That's one way to learn a new language I guess. Nothing like lighting a fire and having to perform. The classes went well. I introduced myself in the beginning and told that I speak "ein besschen deutsch" (a little deutsch). I used my lighthearted and fun personality to keep the humor rolling. Not bragging here because I have been told I exemplify both and I have tests to prove both. Okay, so back to the spin class....fortunately many in the class understood some English so I used my best Deutglish and the class worked out well. I don't think they were expecting to ride like they did tonight. There are lots of way to teach a spin class. If I am going to have to ride indoors then I'm going to make the most of it for me. Selfish? Yes, but for the betterment of the class. I try to follow a standard workout that I would do if I was out training. Albeit its a little bit more condensed. So we worked on threshold efforts with sprints interspersed throughout the interval. In my classes there is not pase(rest). We have recovery periods but we keep spinning throughout. Spin instructors throughout the world would probably say that I am missing the boat on what SPIN and that SPIN is not cycling. Well, I think its better to miss that boat than not get a good workout. But I digress....

Afterwards, Sandra overheard some people. They were asking if I was going to continue teaching the class. They said that it was a very good class. So despite my Deutglish, I brought language confusion, pain, and happiness all in one class. Pretty proud of myself. I probably won't be jumping into any more spin classes on a regular basis. I prefer riding outside but maybe I will dabble in the German spin class instruction from time to time. Resume building? Maybe...

So I broke the axel in my rear Mavic Kysrium Elite today. I took into the local shop and borrowed a 10mm and 4mm to tighten the hub which was loose. Well I tightened it, then tightened it too much. Anyhow, the freehub is on the way out. Hopefully I can use my Mavic MP3 program that I bought into in May 2007, ie 2yr warranty program. The wheel is still usable but not top shape. My DTSwiss 1450 rear has a loose cassette too. can't figure out. I rolled around in CO with no problem. Since I don't have my chainwhip, at home maintenance gets tricky. I might just have to pony up the funds to get a chainwhip rather than relying on trips to the shop. I always keep my stuff in top shape and I can't seem to figure out why these problems surface now. The owner of BikeBox said I had too much power in the legs. I'll go with that excuse for the problems with the wheels =)

chow,
Matthew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go easy on the people, Matthew. I'm sure you gave them a "run" for their money in the class. Be safe, Love, Mom