300x250

09 April 2009

Asking for Directions...



I'm not one to ask for directions. Maybe it's part of my X/Y chromosome makeup but I prefer to think its my quest for adventure and to try to prove to myself that I made the right decision. Today, I buckled underneath the stress. Having spent 2hrs on a great endurance ride up to Heilbronn then south towards Lauffen am Necker I was approaching the danger zone of getting returning to Backnang early enough to drive to the Flughafen(airport) to pick up Marc and Heinz. I knew that if I could find the river then I could get on the bike path that parallels the Necker. I was literally about 200m from getting it correct on my own, but the flat land and high buildings hindered my search effort. Of course having no map with me didn't help either. So I did the next best thing. I found a fahrad shop(bike shop) and asked how to get to Ludwigsburg. The shop guy gave some good directions and I was on my way. But the endurance ride was now a tempo/threshold ride for the next 1hr45min. Fortunately, I had good legs today. Had it been yesterday, I would have been pretty deep in the pain cave. Now I said yesterday that I am finally beginning to have a sound understanding of the area. Well, this was a new area to me so I can't be judged too harshly. But now I know, and knowing is half the battle. Overall the route was pretty solid. Nice mix of bike/farm paths and road. Good climbs and some nice flat sections. And of course it was near 20º so one can't complain.

The past two week's training has definitely kicked the metabolism up. I woke up this morning(4am) with hunger pains...then again at 6:30 with hunger pains. No I didn't starve myself at dinner either. After two bowls of nut/fruit muesli and two pieces of toast w/ nutella spread and kiwi fruit on top I hopped on the bike. As soon as I rolled out, I felt that I didn't even eat breakfast. I think its better to go into the ride a little hungry. That way you aren't feeling bloated and full during the first hour. Better to eat a little more on the ride and keep the energy level and blood sugar level stable then boost before you ride only to see it drop off the earth by the end. I've been experimenting with this protocol lately, and it seems to be working better for me. In my former days, I would finish each ride with a hunger knock. So this was bad on so many levels. Sure we all make those mistakes, but mine was nearly every ride. First it depreciates your level of training you can undertake in that session and two, it delays your recovery. Recovery is critical for long, term performance on the bike.

Tonight, as in every Thursday night, I get the true pleasure of enjoying the flavors of the world-renowed Gretel. Tonight she made Chicken Cordon Bleu. Let's just say that I haven't seen four pieces of meat so large in my life. It was tasty. She is coming over on Sontag for the big Ostern fest at the Sanwald's. So while you might be eating the same ol', same ol' at home, rest assured that I am being treated to some Schwäbian delicacies by Gretel here in Backnang.

Here are some pics. The cordon bleu by itself is Marc's piece. I think the chicken it came from could have eaten me.

Chow,
Matthew

No comments: