300x250

11 April 2009

My First Biergarten

Last night, I rolled down to Schorndorf with Marc & Sandra and we met with Timur, Sebastian Latz, Anja & Oliver Kurz, and Elmar for a little traditional German good weather food and drink. The Schorndorf Stadt Biergarten was the choice rezndevous point. If you haven't been to a biergarten before, I highly recommend it. And not the lame American version of a terrace outside a bar only open during the summer. A proper biergarten must include benches, numerous food selections that you order and pickup, and of course bier on tap. I went with the 0,5L of the Kringer Original. It was tasty. For my food, I did quite a bit of deliberation and menu scouring. One must check over everything as they don't want to cheat themselves of such deliciousness. I finally chose the special for the day, Spinat Strüdel mit fetakäse. This deliciousness included a tomato und zweibel salat(tomato and onion salad). It was a German strudel twist on a mediterranean dish of spinach and feta. If you are keen on your Greecian foods, it would be most similar to a spanakopita. It was basically deliciousness and over too soon before the sensations had a chance to really begin. The biergarten also included its choice selections of a bunch of german boys getting a little hammered. They already were well into their drinking when we arrived around 7:30. I could tell b/c at that point, they had begun filling their 0,5L and 1L glasses with rot wein(red wine). This was a good sign I thought. And of course the teasing of each other and falling off the table part confirmed my observation.

After the delicious had ended, we rolled back through the center of Schorndorf. It was quite a nice city. Many old buildings with good charm. I will be back....

Today, was a recovery day as I have the first big race of the year on Monday. Monday is a holiday here in Germany. Did a very, very mellow 1hr spin. Just to keep the legs moving. I've put in some great training this week and now its just time to recover and keep things loose. Tomorrow I'll be doing my traditional pre-race day warmup of 1.5hrs with some short, intense efforts. Nothing too big, but just keep the legs use to a little pain. I don't want to tire myself out to much before the big Easter egg hunt at the Sanwald's with Alena and Tim. Hopefully, I will be invited to participate =)

Another beautiful day here in Backnang, Low 20s and sunny. Weather went from cold/rain/snow to warm and sun. Not much in between. I finally noticed some leaves sprouting yesterday so spring is upon us.

Now, I must enjoy my first German barbecue experience....

Chow,
Matthew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY EASTER!!!! I hope that you find the "Golden" Egg. Veruka would be proud. Have a wonderful Easter. Love, Mom