300x250

08 November 2007

Energy Bars

I am back making my energy bars after a long haitus. The increase in training has sparked my interest in it again. And I don't want to eat the run-of-the-meal energy bars. Namely because they are typically too sweet and #2 they are overpriced. Perhaps at some point I will market my creations to finance my global bicycle racing campaign =)

So what I need are suggestions for what you would like to see. Please use the comment section. I will make mass bunches of the ones that succeed through my testing and tasting and will let you name the bar if your bar is chosen as well as I will send you a large quantity of your bar to you. Sounds like a smashing deal ehh?

Here are the rules that each flavor suggestion must adhear to:
1) Ingredient is readily available or can be produced w/o intense labor, remember something that has to be mass produced in my kitchen.
2) The bar is based on rolled oats so keep that in mind
3) Seasonal suggestions are encouraged but not required. Its always good to have bars for all seasons.
4) Fruit suggestions will use dried fruit in most cases due to shelf life.
5) No meats, this is an energy bar not a Belgian breakfast

Deadline for submissions? Lets just try to get the ideas sooner rather than later, multiple submissions are allowed and encouraged. Think outside the box but tried and true suggestions are always good for those on the conservative side of energy bars =)

Chow,
Matthew

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

matthew,

"that was the best night of my life, i dont want it to end..." haha

cant wait to see you for Thanksgiving!!

love ya,
megan

p.s. BOW TO YOUR SENSEI!!!

Anonymous said...

ok...
im a nutritionist major and i told megs i intended to help you out with this. but i was going to ask ya some stuff in order to do this correctly:
what is your focus here? just an energy bar or is it a meal replacement?

regardless, along with your rolled oats, you should think about adding some FLAXSEED. it has a large percentage of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids as well as tons of fiber. (helps reduce amount of time that waste remains in body) i think ur body can handle more and more flaxseed as it adjusts, but you can add it to almost anything.

soybean powder can be used for protein in the bar.
this comment is getting way too long. just get back to me on the whole idea of the thing but i hope this helps so far as the basis. asheigh

Anonymous said...

also, think about adding some nuts. almonds are good, especially for protein. dried apples have a lot of potassium, but you dont really see them out there a lot in energy bars. i think you should be well-rounded.
ashleigh

Matthew Barrowclough said...

Ashleigh,
thanks for the suggestions. I have used nuts in the past, only peanuts so far. almonds will be the next try. the purpose of the bar will be energy not meal replacement.

When I am on the bike, I need to get serious calories in my body throughout the ride that can efficiently and safely fuel the system. I have tried dried apples and like them very much. Done the flaxseed thing and agree with you for the need for Omega-3 fatty acids.

You should send in a flavor. I really don't like the current energy market which has a lot of oversweetened bars. So this is my opportunity to provide another bar to an already saturated market but atleast they will have different tastes =)

Anonymous said...

weeeell,
when i was up late last night looking for some flavors (fruit mostly) i remembered using orange zest (from the rind u kno) in something i made at the house one time. i kno that its good for you and when i looked it up, i found out that it has (in one tablespoon) some potassium,calcium, and a few carbs. it only contributes about 6 kcals for energy, but i dont know of that many orange flavor bars out there. im sure you could use honey to counteract the bitterness of the rind while adding calories.
you can use whey protein (powder) for added calories. about one ounce packs a little over 100 kcals. granola will add some crunch to your bar as well as calories--close to 140 in an ounce depending what kind you buy. most people like granola anyway...

ashleigh

Anonymous said...

AHH, WHEAT GERM! i meant to post that as one of the first things...knew i was forgetting something. look this one up--it get u calories...

just a few suggestions for you to check out. they are all good kcal sources. let me know what you think
ash

Anonymous said...

So, I told Michael I'd get on here with some flavor ideas. . . i am a big fan of mango, bananas, coconut, dates, and cashews. Ginger and cinnamon are good and good for the stomach. If you want seasonal maybe you could use dried pumpkin.

There you go - some stellar ideas from a stellar girl. :)

Flava' J

Libby said...

I think you should change it up with a little cilantro and lime. These flavors are unexpected and refreshing!