300x250

05 November 2007

Beautiful Fall Days...

Well, Standard Time is back. I guess that is better for my training atleast temporarily as I will have more light in the morning and won't cheat getting hit by a car not being to see me despite my use of lighting. It also gets a little warmer earlier on. Lots of good training this past weekend. I was able to get in 16 hours of riding last week with 11 hrs Fri-Sun. Pretty jazzed about that because I didn't ride on Tue/Thur except to go to work and home. Legs felt really good. I still lack the top-end dragsterness I had when I came home from Europe but I'm pleased with the comings of my training. What I am most impressed and happy with is my recovery. After the rides, my legs are pretty toasted and I'm starving but by the next morning, legs feel good and no soreness. Hopefully signs of good things to come.

One thing that really crept up this weekend was my appetite. Still working on keeping the kilos down but whenever I finish a workout, I'm pretty blown. Yesterday was an exception. I ate two Nature Valley bar packs(140cal a piece) and a banana on my 4 hour jaunt around Paradise Drive and out to Fairfax. Usually I would go for just a banana and be in blood-sugar meltdown on the last 20min of the ride. I managed to heed to my instinct and ate a little more during the ride. Definitely made the climb up to my house much easier. Perhaps I am on to something new in my training...proper food intake while training...For those of you that remember my race reports from La Vaujany and La Mure, I basically rode both of those races to complete caloric deficiency and probably did more damage to myself than normal. I've always struggled with eating and drinking on the bike. This winter's training I will focus more on it b/c I know my strength will be there to fight out and get in the p/1/2 ranks but my food supply process is seriously limiting to the long term performance in a race. I think a lot is psychological...I don't want to eat because I want to burn as many calories as possible without taking any in. But the logic is quite flawed. B/c I end up putting in the calories when I get back and recover slower due to my body being dragged to the bottom. Its also kind of a masochistic thing. When I did La Mure, 150km with a 70km solo effort, I had 4 pieces of bread before the race, 1 banana prior to start, one during the race(i stole both from the food providers at the race) and 3 energy gels. Race was 4hr53min. Not many calories to be used up which equates to muscles being burned and that is Muy No Bueno! Another case is where it really hurt me bad was at the San Dimas SR in Mar07. I was feeling great on the road race and ready to make the moves and get into that attack mode on the last lap but when I went up the climb on the last lap, my calfs went into deep spasm and I had to back off just so I didn't blow and miss holding my position. Why did this happen? Well it was in the mid70s and I drank maybe a bottle of water and no food. For a ~3hr race that is no bueno even if you are just sitting in. So it cost me a podium on that stage b/c I knew the legs were good but I had to settle for a ~top15? Doesn't really matter much because i missed the race on my own food problems.

So for 2008, I'm going to eat better on the bike and off and drink more on the bike =) Right now, I'm considering the Southern Nevada Stage Race January 26-28, 2008 as my breakout race. Its out of Las Vegas. I figure it would be a good 3 days of racing to get the season off nicely with no ambitions other than to get some racing kms in.

So on my ride this morning I saw this guy carrying two giant black bags of alum cans? Both bags were suspended with a wooden stick he placed over his shoulder. It was quite the balancing act but these things were huge. Wish I had the camera...So tomorrow is election day in San Francisco. For those of you who need a laugh, here goes....There are 14 candidates for Mayor. The incumbant, Gavin Newsom, has a pretty good lock. but it would be quite funny if any of these other characters gave him a run or even won. SF politics are quite ridiculous.

List of Mayoral Candidates courtesy of Wikipedia, the True internet information source lol

Lots of good recipes created this past weekend. Tonight I will try my butternut squash ravioli...I will post pictures of the final piece
Boo Yah,
Matthew

No comments: