300x250

21 November 2007

A Cranksgiving Miracle

Well not really a miracle but Cranksgiving is in full effect. I finished up my first block of training today with another great ride here in East Tenn. I must say, the roads here are by far the best I have ever ridden in terms of quality. I know my mom and dad would love it for me to make Cranksgiving an annual affair.

Today I did 125km. I made out a map on google maps then just followed the road numbers and didn't really know what to expect in terms of terrain. Legs were pretty heavy in the beginning, side-effect of Cranksgiving but I continued on and boy was it worth it. Since that fateful day in July, I cherish each ride I get to take whether its 3.2km to work or 125km today, riding is just awesome. But today's ride was definitely one for the training journal memory. I will ride this one again before leaving because it was just so amazing. So the route took me from my house in Piney Flats, TN to Elizabethton on a nice, super quiet and twisty road with amazing fall colors. From Elizabethton, I heading North towards Shady Valley, this is where it becomes epic. On the way, it was pretty flat and I was enjoying the quietness before a car pulled out in front of me but more dangerously, it pulled out in front of two Harley men. There was some massive fishtailing on the bikes and they actually clipped each other. I don't know how they kept the bikes up but they must have been quite handy with the fishtail recovery. I asked if they were okay, I think they appreciated it but didn't think much of my skinny cycling legs =) but thats another story. The girl who almost hit them stayed back about 80m and for good reason. I was more concerned with the two guys attacking this car which was why I stayed. So I pressed on after my diplomatic duties were exhausted. The road began to rise slightly but nothing serious. As i contined peddaling on the false flat, the valley i was in began to narrow then all of the sudden I am entering the Cherokee National Forest and there is a sick climb ahead, 7-8km, 5-9% with a top elevation of 1052m. It was about a 20min climb I think. Nothing short of epic. It was the first climb I had done since June that had rewarded me with so much pride since my march of the fabled Col du la Croix du Fer and Col du Galibier. This climb did so much more for my confidence than all of the riding I have done during Crankgiving-07. I was worried all week that I had lost my ability to climb but nothing has been really long, only 1-2km at most. Mainly big roller which wreck havoc on my Lionel Ritchie leg spinning rhythem. The latic was burning but for some reason, I still had a smile on my face. The followup climb was shorter but I was treated to a 10km descent which was icing on the cake. Didn't Bomb the Hill at my top ability. I was a little hesitent with the new ride and the occasional wet pavement. But the Cento is a climbers golden arrow and she doesn't shy away from the speed on the backside either.
After the last climb it was back on 41 heading towards Bluff City. Not super picturesque. Daylight continues to battle me and make my mom worry. But Cranksgiving has a grip on me and sometimes I get a little over eager and push the daylight to exhaustion.

If you are out visiting this area, let me know and I will throw out a map for you. On the descent out of the Cherokee National Forest, I was thinking of what a sick area this would be to have a stage race. Plenty of terrain variety and many quiet roads. I even had a woman encouraging me up the final climb saying I only had "1 mile to the top and its all downhill afterwards!" Got to love the support.

Well, I need to start making my Cran-Walnut Stuffing for tomorrow's festivities. Ohh, and if you are wondering about the culinary experiences with my grade school friends, well, it was epic. recipes will follow....
Chow,
Matthew

No comments: