300x250

04 August 2007

Trucks and Bikes

Since my last post, its been quite an interesting period of time in my life. I set out on Wed, Jul 25 on a redeye aboard jetblue from SFO to JFK. I arrived at JFK just before 9am. The plan was to visit Diana and enjoy some riding and fun in NY/NJ. This was my first time in NY aside from driving through when I was 10. Diana and I had nice pasta lunch at her house then lounged before setting out on an easy training ride. Ride started out good and I was quickly surprised by the length of all the hills around her house. Riding was really nice. The plan was to do about 3 hours then head back for a nice dinner, relaxation and a little vino. One road Diana took me on was atleast 22+% for about 3/4 of amile. It was incredible steep but was fun. Legs were burning at the top. At about 10km from our ride ending, tragedy struck. What happened is entirely based upon the truck driver's memory b/c neither Diana or I remember anything. I am still unable to remember 10min before it all happened.
As we were riding along the road, a pickup truck ran into us and struck me on the back with the rearview mirror. I was catapulted into a rocky ditch alongside the road. I am not sure how long I was unconsciencous but I am sure it was for atleast a few minutes. When I finally came, I awoke to darkness and the intense urging to try to move my arms and breath but I was unable. This is where I think I was most scared. In my head, I was hoping that Diana had slowed down and was coming back to help me. Not knowing that she was down as well. Finally after what seemed to be 15-20seconds of my inability to move and breath, my eyes opened and I was finally able to get some oxygen and move my arms. The only words I could make out were moans. I couldn't see anyone. I knew I had to get back to the side of the road, so I gathered all the strength I had and picked myself up and hobbled the 5-7ft out of the ditch, only to collapse on the ground in exhaustion with intense pain along my left side and the inability to move my left leg and left arm. I finally saw Diana and she was laying down and trying to breath but was experiencing great difficulty. By this point several people had stopped to help. I was yelling at people to tend to her b/c i couldn't get over to her to help. Never in my life had I felt so helpless. Anger was sitting in b/c I couldn't get to her and no one was responding to her at the rate I wanted them.

Now we had several people on the scene helping and we were both being cared for. Shortly later, several ambulances arrived and EMTs came to our help. I only remember a few people on the scene who helped, the bmw store salesman who was with me and guy on a cell phone, and the emt people. The cops finally showed and were busy securing the scene and trying to get information from me. Diana was in much worse shape than I was. Fortunately, I was able to give the officer information for both of us. The EMTs rolled us by into the ambulances only to drive us shortly down the road to the LZ. We had two birds on the way to fly us out. They weren't giving us much information on where we were going or whether we would be going to the same hospital. I kept asking but no one would give me an answer. So at this point, I am waiting on my bird as Diana had just taken off and I was on state highway 94 in NY and that is all I knew where we were. I just arrived 7 hours ago(impact at 4pm) and in a place I had never been before. I tried to keep things light and joking as much as I could. Its always been my way to deal with pain. Partly, I was probably scared of the seriousness of the sitaution. Upon touchdown of my bird I was loaded in and had an IV started. it was an 18min flight. This was my first time in a helicopter, hopefully my next one will be a little more enjoyable and I can actually get a chance to see the skyline as I was forced to look at the ceiling the entire ride.

We finally arrived at Westchester Medical Center and I was quickly rushed to the ER. The pain at this point was incredibly intense and my back was killing me b/c I was forced to lay on a stiff board and the cramps in my back were really getting to me. I found out Diana was at the same hospital but I wouldn't see her for another few hours. At this point, I don't remember as many details. Basically i was rushed between different medical students and doctors asking what my symptoms were over an over.

tbc...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt! Oh my ... I am so sorry to hear what happened to you! I am glad you are ok enough to write about it on the blog, but talk about a clif hanger ending and leaving the reader to want more!

All the best to you and Diana on your road to recovery (pun intended, hehe).

-Gregg and Holly-

Anonymous said...

Yes, please update us! Hope you both are healing.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.