300x250

18 August 2007

Hit by Truck Day +23

Perhaps I should go after a new topic besides getting hit by a truck. Its difficult to think of new material, just because every day I am reminded that my body is broken and that I cheated death. Yesterday, I was perusing my typical web haunts, Cyclingnews.com. There was a story about a pro italian woman rider. She was recently struck by a truck and suffered multiple fractures including vertebrae, pelvis, scapula, and clavicle. She is on the road to recovery. The end of her little bit struck me the most. She talked about getting hit and how it has changed her. She said getting hit seems almost like a right of passage in pro riding. The more I research cycling injuries, the more I realize how too often cyclists are injured by autos. Unfortunately, some don't get to make a comeback. I'm looking forward to my comeback and everyone on the road should watch out because its game on for me =)

Diana and I were speaking yesterday and we both mentioned how much the whole being hit by a truck thing has changed our outlook. Before I was taken out by a truck, I would hear about cyclists being injured. I would sympathize but thats about all I was capable of doing. Until you have faced death or near-death, you don't understand it. Everyone has but incredible supportive of us both, but one thing people can't give is an understanding of what its like to be climbing alpine cols one week and weeks later, getting excited about getting out of bed without help and walking across the room. Life is put into perspective real quick. As I continually will say, I think of this experience as a defining moment in my life. Since I awoke to consciousness on the side of the road, I have done my best at keeping it light and trying to laugh and joke as much as possible. I was probably the most sarcastic, joking patient the EMS ever had to backboard. Its definitely accelerated my healing evident in the fact that I am now walking without a limp about 95% of the time. This is a huge step considering I was using a crutch last Friday. I know my parents are going to be blown away by my recovery when I see them in a few hours. In no way is the pain gone, but its becoming more and more manageable each day. I think the majority of the pain in the pelvis now is due in fact to the tightness in the muscles and tissue that has suffered extreme atrophy and stiffness from keeping my leg stiff. It looks like I might need some physical therapy but hopefully I can work it out solo with my foam roller and stretching. If it wasn't for this oppressive neck collar, it would be quite difficult to know that I was run over by a truck 3 weeks ago.

Tomorrow I am taking my little sister Megan to college with my parents. She is part of the class of 2011 at University of Tennessee-Knoxville. Its unbelievable that she is going to college. I know she will do well like everyone else has done. No pressure on her though =) I consider my duties to be maybe lifting a little bit, as my shoulder is still weak, setting up the computer, and being supportive for my empty-nesting parents. Plus also giving Megan a hard time. Later today I am going to the wedding of Anna Soike. The Soike's are great family friends of ours. I want to wish Anna, her future husband Trey, and both families a great day.

Now here are some ramblings I have. For those of you that don't know, I run a community sailing program for San Francisco State University. It supports my cycling habit. I like to think that I am responsible for teaching kids in San Francisco how to sail. Anytime you are working with kids, you get good remarks and attitudes from parents and then sometimes you get bad ones. This past week seemed to be filled with bad ones. Monday, a parent pulled her kid out because the kids weren't her age, she was 10 most of the kids were 12. What she didn't know was there was another 10yr old who was sick on day 1. I am sure the kid was a little overwhelmed on the first day, but I know they would have enjoyed it had they stuck with it. So parents, sometimes its okay to force your kids to do something even if the kid resists. If this wasn't the case, you would probably see only enrollment in school at 20%. Now this is not to say that you should live vicariously through your kids and continually force them into stuff they dislike but its okay to be a hawk at times rather than a lame duck. Yesterday, Friday, I received another call from "concerned" parent. After listening to the 5minute voicemail, I called the parent to discuss. First off, never leave a 5 minute voicemail. It annoys me and most others to no end and doesn't do much to help your story or concern. It frustrates me to no end because its typically a message that can be said in 30seconds but is repeated 6x. I'm not stupid, I understood it the first time. Okay, so when I called this woman, she went into her spill again. I ended up holding the phone away from my ear for quite a bit. Mainly out of spite. Her grievances...well, her daughter hurt her back while carrying a boat on Thursday. For her injury, I am sorry. I would never want to see a kid get hurt or put a kid in a position where they might get injured. I had spoken with my instructor the day prior regarding this girl and he indicated that no one got hurt and noted how little work this girl did in class. I taught several of these girls at my earlier spring break camp. They were all great girls but I was definitely aware that a few of them were not too eager at participating in the loading and unloading of boats and gear. For me, carrying boats, setting boats up is just as important as learning how to make the boat move. Its all about teaching responsibility both on the water and off because when you are on the water, you can easily find yourself without assistance. You must be prepared to handle all situations as if no one would ever come to your rescue. I think that is one of the greatest things about learning how to sail. Kids are babied enough in school and extra-curriculars. Now sailing is not perfect but it does go well beyond tball or flag football or dance. Not to discount those activities. Now that I have given my feelings, here is my grievance...

The parent stressed how her daughter is not that strong, "she doesn't have a lot of muscle, she is not athletic. She is an intellectual, a musician, a singer." Okay, so this woman is essentially excusing her daughter from all physical things because she is not athletic. HOW IN THE WORLD COULD A PARENT OR ANYONE DEFINE WHAT 14YR OLD GIRL IS OR NOT IS? This is the same naive attitude that I hear in cycling..."ohh, I didn't do well in the criterium, b/c I'm not a sprinter, or I won't do a road race because I am a sprinter and can't climb." Why is everyone so quick to try to define themselves what they are or not, and what good is this woman doing to her daughter by defining her and creating an attitude for her daughter what her capabilities are and aren't at 14!? Then she had the audacity to say that she new there were plenty of strong boys in the class that should be doing the heavy lifting. Have we not made an improvement in the gender war? I know that we all have our limitations but sailing for me has always been an arena where boys and girls can compete and enjoy sailing equally. Case in point, if you look at the recent 29er European championships or the Youth Worlds in 29ers, both of these events were won by two american girls who beat a lot of very competitive girl and boy boats. Just because she is a girl should never be her get out of lifting boats or doing physical work card. If her mother was smart, she would encourage her daughter to take up some form of athletics or atleast encourage her to remain physically active. I am sure Harvard or Stanford would much rather have her if you she had some physical fitness. Yes, that is a swipe at Harvard and Stanford =) Maybe I am just hoping for too much from parents. I'm no parent, but I have taught enough kids in sailing to know a little bit about things that work and don't work. Despite these two bad, parent events this week, the program has experienced a lot of praise from parents and kids alike. Seeing the kids laugh and actually learn something and take responsibility is the most satisfying part in this world were kids grow up with this feeling of entitlement. Atleast one person thinks I have some good insight as I was quoted in a child-rearing book a few years ago. The book is called, Sign Me Up. I am on 4 pages so I think I'm kind of a big deal. Now if I could just get the college team I coach to take more pride and responsibility in their work then I will be happy. So if anyone from CMA Sailing is reading this, I'm talking directly to you =) So see you in a few weeks and I hope you are ready for year 3.

Adieu,
Matthew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were in a book? Additionally, being hit by a truck certainly adds a chapter or two to "The Book of Matthew" :-)