300x250

21 August 2007

The Comeback Begins...

Yesterday, while visiting family in TN, I met with a neurosurgeon to get some additional guidance on my C7 situation. After leaving Westchester Medical Center without much to go on except, "you will be in the collar for 6-8 weeks." Basically, i get to now take a shower without a collar. Its pretty much Christmas in August for me. I waited until this morning before my early flight to take my first collar-less shower since July 25, just to build up the excitement. And yes it was truly amazing.

Also took the first step to what will now be referred to as my comeback story. On Sunday morning prior to taking my little sister to college, I rode my brother's road bike for 5 minutes around the driveway and up it. The driveway is no Col de Galibier but it does have a nice little pitch to it. I stayed in the saddle and rode "tempo" to the top of the driveway before going into the drops and descending the 400ft of driveway. I think I probably hit 32km/h! I got off and my pelvis hurt a lot but no pain, no gain right? So Sunday, Aug 19 is now known as the start of my comeback. 2010, Le Tour. Today is Tuesday or C-Day + 2.

The neurosurgeon said I will have to keep the collar on till my followup appointment on Sept 20. Based on his analysis the bones appear to set well together from my original images and should heal properly barring no trauma. I will get some additional images on this appointment and hopefully it will be a no collar day after that.

So this blog could be taking a new direction in the coming weeks. You will just have to keep reading to find out what surprises await. I do want to thank all the people who have kept their get-well thoughts coming. Its definitely helped.

Adieu,
Matthew

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, Joey gave me a heads up about your website and the persuit of your most recent vocation. He also made me aware of your recent accident. I am terribly sorry, but am happy that you are in a recovery program. It sounds that you should return to full recovery and will be getting back on the bike. I want to get out to see you while you are in the JC area. I will give you a call. I don't know if Joey told you but the two of us saw the last 6 stages of the 2002 TdeF; your bloggins brought back great memories. Phil Hinton

Matthew Barrowclough said...

Dr. Hinton,
I am back in SF, but will be back in JC on Sept 20-24. I will email joey to get your email, but you can email me at mbarrowclough at hotmail dot com

Anonymous said...

Matt, Great to see that you are back in SF. Are you back to teaching? I am excited that you still want to ride and go pro.

I am looking forward to seeing you when you return to the JC area.

Email address: phinton@embarqmail.com

Keep the faith! Phil H