300x250

31 July 2009

Where Did the Week Go?

My week has been a little stressful. The criterium on Monday left some sour feelings. After 3 crits in the last 4 days, I was a little tired still from Tour de France travel. Head wasn't what I needed it to be for the race. My plan was to go for the SuperPrime which was not a high-pressure washer but a cordless drill(bau machine). This lost in translation moment continued into the race. I heard "SuperPrime" by the race boss and got into super good position. 4th wheel and protecting my spot like the King protects his daughter from the peasant boys. On the last corner there was probably 500m to the finish line. I came out of the turn, which was a cobblestone street in 4th wheel still then I saw my chance and I went guns-a-blazing. I was so determined to get the Bau machine that I wasn't going to let anyone ahead of me. I don't think I have gone full gas like that for so long ever. The shadows of my followers were close but no one could come around so I was getting super amped. I crossed the line and the German behind me said something which I never understood b/c my head lacked all forms of oxygen at this point. I nearly collapsed after the effort. That was the goal, give it everything for the SuperPrime and not care about anything else. My effort did a great job at blowing up the field as the group that followed me, 3-4riders were off the front for the rest of the race, fortunately my teammate was one of them. He ended up 2nd in the race. No back to the SuperPrime...Marc rolled by and said there were 3 up the road. I thought yeah, I brought those guys up after I won the SuperPrime. On the contrary, there were 3 more up the road which I didn't even know about so I was basically sprinting my eyes out for 4th which in prime laps, equates to 0.000000 ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I ended up catching back on and having a little bit of fun in the field sprint. After the race I learned that the SuperPrime is an accumulation of points given to places 1-3 on announced SuperPrime laps. The one with the most points wins the drill. This left a pretty sour feeling inside and frustration. Maybe by the end of my season here I will understand how races work here.

After a 1 day planned Pause, I set out to ride on Wednesday only to discover a loose left crankarm. A simple loose crankarm led me to tightening it and not thinking about it. Thursday morning arrives and I get all ready. I ride 1km and the crankarm is nearly falling off. Frustration is rising. Upon returning home, I remove the crankset and discover that the damn O-Ring, a plastic/metal washer is kaputt. So I can't get it tight enough without the thing binding up. This leads me to spending nearly my entire Thursday and part of today learning everything I can about FSA K-Force cranksets and their German translations along with visiting a bike shop here in Backnang, several phone conversations, hours of internet FSA dealer searches, and a call to the FSA Euro HQ in Milan, Italy. Today, progress was made. The Italians are mailing me "ASAP" new O-rings and Loctite. Keep in mind it's an Italian definition of "ASAP." It's wait and hope time for me. Elmar came through with a crush washer which helped and today Heinz spoke with the Bike 'n Boards mechanic and they said to put Loctite on the crank spindle which is what is recommended on FSA's site. Fortunately, I've got a great support system here with the Sanwalds and the team. Heinz had the special Loctite version that is a metal filler in his shop. I did a short test ride and so far so good. So after nearly 3 days of no progress, things improved today. In all the work, I installed new shifting cables, brake pads, re-greased my dying headset bearings and discovered that my Look Pedal spindle is loose. I guess the scheise crankset issue hid the loose pedal. Tomorrow morning I hope to take apart the pedal and regrease it and hopefully tightened it enough so that my pedal platform remains firm. And it's only Friday....

Race on Sunday in Freiburg am Breisgua. Should be another great battle. Team wrapped up the LBS Cup and the Ba-Wü Liga which is awesome. Sunday we just have to finish the race since we have accumulated enough points over the 2nd place Team Rothaus(beer brand). Tomorrow is Sommerfest at Activity. Going to try my luck at a ropes course. Hopefully, nothing gets lots in translation b/c those consequences could be a little bit more dangerous than a missed drill prime...

Chow,
Matthew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the race. Hope it gets better for you. BE SAFE Love, Mom