300x250

27 July 2009

Nostalgia

Yesterday, 26 July 2009, was another nostalgic moment for me. I'd been thinking about the date for the last couple of weeks but it took me until mid-morning yesterday to remember what day it was. If you have been following my writing then you know that 2 years ago yesterday I was boarding a helicopter in rural New York on my way to a hospital with not-so-good patient care with 7 fractures and a lot of angels watching over me. Last year on this weekend I was in Salida, Colorado for the Salida Ominium. Saturday was a slugfest whereas Sunday last year I was powering to victory in the criterium in a downpour. This year it was another weekend packed with racing. We started the LBS Team Cup on Thursday night with an 80km criterium followed by another 80km criterium on Friday and the finale yesterday, another 80km criterium. Finished in the field on Thursday. Had some problems on Friday, and yesterday, I squeaked out a 25th out of 100+. Yesterday's brutality was enhanced by the heat and the tempo being set on the front from Merida. It was obvious they were a little disappointed with their team's placing thus far so they felt it neccessary to make stuff happen. The 2km course 800m downhill(ever so slight), 400m of flat with 3 sweeping turns and finally 800m of uphill with the last 150-200m being 8-12%. Not demanding on a single lap unless you are going so fast you begin to lose consciousness or the fact that you had to do it 40x! I felt pretty good but I still suffered, maybe just not as bad as I would have suffered on a bad-leg day.

Team put on a great performance with Leif Lampater taking the overall with teammate Simon Horstman in 2nd. Simon defended his jersey bravely but couldn't quite manage it. He is a real powerhouse, and I think he is going to rip over the next few weeks. The team took the overall which puts us in as the Best Team in Baden-Würtenburg. Not too bad! The final LBS Cup race is on Sunday in Opfingen which is in the Schwarzwald(Black Forest). Points wise I think we have wrapped up the LBS Cup which is the top prize for all team in Ba-Wü. Pretty cool stuff.

The racing this weekend was extra special because my younger brother David and his girlfriend Jessie were able to visit during their 7-week Euro Soiree. His comments to Jessie were how much faster it is here. So I have someone to back up my statements I guess =) The race announcer yesterday, Freddy, announced my name several times as I went through the Start/Finish after the climb, "hier ist die Matthew....die Amerikanish....aus Colorado(long a).." He also said that there were some special guests at the race today for Me, "meine Eltern." No my parents weren't here unfortunately, but I guess David and Jessie look much older than their faces my show as they were thought to be my parents. It was a big laugh for everyone on the team.

Today it's another race, a criterium in Rohsbach(Rheinland-Pfalz). C-Klasse. I want to win the super-primi which is a €400 power washer. If not that, hopefully a bottle of wine =)

Chow,
Claw

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was realy a great weekend!Everthing was perfect! Good luck for the race this evening! Hope you will get the power drill AND some bottles of wine! Bottoms up!
Sandra

Anonymous said...

What kinds of food did you make during your cookout? I hope you did a good job representing us fellow Americans. : ) Love ya,

Lauren

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Jessi and David were able to represent Dad and I. We would have loved to have seen you. Perhaps in the future. BE SAFE. Miss you. Keep the pictures flowing. Love, Mom