300x250

19 July 2009

In Turkish Hooka Bar in Freiburg im Breisgau

Tried to find wi-fi so I can make last minute stuff as I board a DBahn ride in the morning to Switzerland for Le Tour. You can watch for me near the summit on the first climb.

Just finished a great race in Wittnau which is just outside Freiburg. Finished 3rd on the team and in the 2nd group. Wicked hard race. Course was cool though a 19km with 3km climb each lap(6laps). The climb was over 8.5%. Easy in training but in a KT/A/B/C rennen the human cyborgs at the front threw the hammer down. Felt really good. Last lap some cramping but can't complain. Very happy as the race completely blew apart on the first time up. Made the 2nd group and rode smartly. The course took us through all these different villages. Roads were closed as the race came through then we went up through a wine vineyard before the climb. Lots of narrow roads and sketchiness but it was good.

Now, I was trying to find a place to get some wifi as I had some last minute internet stuff. Didn't want to go to Starbuck's here. So I found myself in a Turkish Hooka lounge. Fortunately i'm outside. The latte macchiato was tasty. Trying my best to avoid the hooka toxins but the couple next to me are going at it pretty hard. Normally I would leave but I'm bending my rules b/c of the opportunity and the humor that is my current situation at a hooka bar using the wifi outside. The backroom looks pretty serious. The turkish guys have been going at it for an hour now. No sign of letting down. =)

Tonight, I'm staying in a private pension near the bahnhof. Early ride on the train in the morning 7:34am. Then it's tour de france and Martigny, Switzerland for me! Should be cool. I'll of course be taking many photos. Going to ride the first climb so you can watch for me near the summit on Tuesday. It borders Italy so I hope I can find some nice Italian food. If not, I'll just take my photo next to the border sign =)

Chow,
Bearclaw

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BE SAFE Enjoy the Tour. Should be exciting. Stay away from those Turkish people. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the great race!! Visualizing you on your laptop at a Hookah bar is quite amusing =) Have a great time at the tour...and if you have time, make a trip to the Matterhorn, in Zermat!!!
Love ya,
Kristi