300x250

21 July 2009

Le Ettape de Tour du France!

Saw the Grand Boucle yesterday and today. Sure the viewing might be better on TV. But the energy and the emotions of the race just can't be understood until you have seen it in person. Yesterday was a rest day here in Martingy, Switzerland. Rest days are pretty cool for the spectator on the bike b/c it allowed me to scout out many teams and get up close to the riders and all the support crew. Cervelo just started there training ride when i arrived. Very cool stuff. The small town of 10,000, Martigny, CH was insane yesterday and this morning. The Tour brings that energy to every town it stops or starts at. There was dancing, live music, and of course criterium racing in the city center. I didn't realize what the Swiss Guard was doing earlier in the day. If i wasn't still kind of trashed from Sunday's race, I would have given it a go. Today, I set out around 10am to ride to the summit of the HC Col de Grand Saint Behrnard(same one as the dog). The 40km trip was about 30km of climbing. 400m to 2400, so some pretty good vertical. The guards wouldn't let me cross under the banner at that point b/c the race caravan was not too far. So I didn't get to cross into Italy as I had intended. But I did pick up lots of schwag from the sponsor caravan that rolled through. The best way to describe it is a moving circus with loud music. It was crazy! I parked myself about 1-1.5km from the summit. I had prime real estate as it allowed me to view many of the switchbacks coming up. And surprisngly, I parked right next to 3 Americans. We chatted quite a bit while I scarfed down my lunch of a 250g loaf of bread, 2.5 Wurst sticks, and a 150g package of mozzerella. It was tasty. Got lots of pictures to prove I was there =) For the majority of the climb, people were parked on the side of the road and cheering you on. As the road got steeper, the crowds got bigger and the chanting and encouragement followed. It was very cool to have such energy around you. One lady even handed me a small glass of wine which I took like a pro feed zone. I think it surprised her that I took it but they all cheered when i raised my empty glass after drinking it =)

Head back to Germany tomorrow morning. It has provided me with memories for a lifetime.

Pictures will follow...

Chow,
Bearclaw

ps. this was written from the free wifi network at McDonald's...go figure...it's switzerland

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet is that? You must be on such a high right now!! Experiencing le tour de France front and center and getting your wi-fi on with a McCafe in the Swiss Alps. How surreal!
Ciao,
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Cool trip! Looking forward to your live report :-). Sandra and the Sanwalds

Anonymous said...

What an adventure. And to think that McDonald's was involved in this adventure. I do like Mickie Ds no matter what they say about it. Can't wait to see the pictures. Have a glass of wine for me. BE SAFE. Love, Mom