300x250

07 May 2009

Volkschule Throwdown

Good day today at Volkschule. I had one of those, "all systems are go" type day, ie I was able to create coherent thought in Deutsch and understand a lot better. Some days I have it, some days I don't. Before our "pause" (English=break, recess) this morning the Cameroon guy blew up. I'm probably not the only one but his accent is so not-german that I can barely understand him. Not quite sure if the teacher could either. But he was blasting the way the class is run. He can't learn when everything is spoken so fast and only in Deutsch with no Franciosich(french). That lasted for about 10min. The teacher cowered away. I thought she should have done a better job at redirecting his frustration into an offline discussion. My deutsch is limited so I wasn't able to offer a witty one-liner that would ease the crisis. I was thinking about something like, "I can wipe my own butt" or "I like to eat muesli." I should have just said it and not worried about it 747'n over student's heads. Next time...

At the end of class, we played a classic American game of Hangman. The teacher went first and she chose a rather long word, "telephoneiren." As she was counting the spaces, I spoke up and gave the answer. She was completely bummed and I think a little frustrated. Who is this American?! Its just how I roll...I throw down in Hangman. So she sent me to the board and I gave the class a pretty good run for the money before my word, "antwort" (answer) was answered correctly. Only had two chances left so I chose well. My skilz didn't stop there, each time it was my turn to guess a letter I guessed correct. The Cameroon guy was so excited for me. One might call him a fan of mine...

Cooked up a nice Eggplant marinara for dinner along with some fish. It was a nice touch after a good training session. Karin and Heinz furthered the enjoyment with some ice cream and fresh fruit. Quite the tasty treat. I had forgotten how good ice cream tastes. Perfect day for it as it was sunny, cloudless and 75!

Adios,
Claw

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Es ist gut, um zu sehen, Sie sind ein Euro-Fangemeinde! Ich bin nicht überrascht. =)
~Kristi

Anonymous said...

Go easy on them, son. Be safe. Love, Mom