300x250

05 May 2009

Steeper at the Top

My race performance went better on Sunday than the experience on Friday. After a proper departure of 7am after a wakeup of 5:50am and cramming down muesli, we were out the door for Geislingen. First we had to meet up with the rest of the team in Fellbach and caravan down. Geislingen is about 1.5hrs south of Backnang. Course was a 12km circuit with a climb at the start then flat, then down, then up for 2km and rolling before a tailwind descent to the start. The field size as always was enormous, atleast 250. Some were saying 300, but I managed to see someone with a pinnummer of 250. Before the race even began it was a race, a race for the front of the start. With the juniors finishing just before us, they left no time for the start for our KT/A/B/C race. I like it this way, no bs'ng around. The keepers were having a difficult time keeping the field at bay. I played it cool and stayed just far enough up that and didn't make eye contact. This kept me from being told to go back. I also got a nice little sidewalk position which helped the cause. My efforts paid off, as I got a 2nd row start. Better start off on the upside I like to think.

The race was again, crazy hard. About half-way through with the break up the road, the field blew up. I was falling back in the first group then the cord snapped and I was in the middle. So I waited till the 2nd group came. Fortunately, two teammates made the front group. I was thinking as the pace went from okay this is hard, to "who the hell is the human cyborg at the front?" Fortunately, we had a pretty big group and several well-conditioned riders. They forced their leadership on the field and kept the pace respectable but not blood coming out the ears. With the race leaders up the road, our race in the Grupetto became who could descend the fastest on the final descent and cross the village sign first. It was pretty funny. You had teams forming leadouts and people going all out for the village sign. When the winner crossed, hands were thrown up in the air. I think the highest i hit was 79km/h. It wasn't very steep but I managed to slingshot myself off some riders and ride the gutter.

Had a good ride yesterday. Legs still felt pretty good. Upcoming week is looking good. Another LBS Cup race on Sunday with Schule the rest of the week.

Chow,
Matthew

1 comment:

Christopher Cummings said...

good work, your going to come back here and kill it.