300x250

02 November 2008

Retirement?

So I'm retiring for the next 2 weeks as a bike racer. No i'm not letting myself go, just setting myself up for a super good build period starting later this month. Rest periods are incredibly important for all endurance athletes. Its a time for one to reflect on the season's past ups/downs/lefts/rights. I really don't enjoy taking rest periods but I know its needed. One must realize the benefits of recovery, which what what typically seperates a professional from an amateur. Now I don't have a pro-contract but resting allows the body to rebuild and get ready for the next big training block. So like I said, I'm retired for the next 2 weeks.

Today I went and caught the Boulder Cup cyclocross event which is a UCI C1 race, ie all the big hitters and players in the US cross scene. Course was pretty sick. I think I would have done well in it b/c it seemed like a course the benefited riders that were strong and had good stamina. I usually lack on the technical running sections. Crowds were amazing. I got a nice view atop the run-up barrier section.

So to kickoff my retirement I have been busy back in the kitchen. Fall always seems to make me want to cook more. I guess the amazing fall produce and cooler temperatures make me want to spend more time in the kitchen whipping up culinary nirvana. Made my 2nd batch of almond granola yesterday. Why was I paying too much for store bought granola for so long?! I could be heading back into the energy bar business soon. Tonight I made Chili Tatanka. For all you non-Lakotan speakers, that means Buffalo Chili. Yep, the wild American Bison hit my plate tonight. Before moving here Buffalo was only scene on Western menus. Its almost a staple out here where elsewhere is a foreign commodity. It was pretty tasty. I got an idea from Kelly's sister Kim for the next Chili Tatanka. She thought my chili tonight tasted of mole, the delicious Mexican chocolate-chili sauce. I thought, I could get some ancho chilis(give a nice smokey/sweet flavor) and some nice dark cocao. Then add a little extra heat and it should be wicked retarded good. I'll keep you posted...

Chow,
Matthew

1 comment:

Eric Fischer said...

i really dont enjoy rest periods either-but you'll feel energized afterwards....i just finished mine and am hitting it hard starting on tuesday...really looking forward to it

How is the weather out there? you should come back to the bay for a Kovarus reunion/training when its all snowy out there...and you can cook for us too;)