300x250

14 November 2008

Back in the Game

So yesterday was my return to training or as I have deemed it, my "coming out of retirement." Yeah, you can laugh but I was retired from training for 2 weeks. Now the engine is fired up and ready to start getting my 2009 program under way. To kick it off, I did a time trial test on Hwy 36, the same tt course as the summer Boulder series. Effort was really hard. Since most of my time after the road season was tooling around on the cross bike and trying some cross races, my cadence has dropped significantly. But I've gained a lot of strength so now its time to put more strength work in and refine that buttery spinning so makes jaws drop, drop like the Eminem album or such. Aside from my lack of any sustained efforts in a few months, I had the pleasure of the cold front that was rolling into the Front Range. Gusts were in the 40-60mph range. One minute you are spinning out the 53x12 and moving along at 65km/h then you turn and you are at 17km/h in your 39x27 on a "flat" stretch of road. Now the going fast part is wicked fun, especially when you pass cars and decide that you can warrant your own lane since you are riding at or above the posted speed limit.

On Wed, I did an amazing 3hr hike in the Flatirons again. Went up Gregory Canyon, hit the Ranger Trail then back down to Saddle Back. Topped out at over 7500' I think. The hike was pretty good and it just makes me appreciate how lucky I am to have this in my own backyard, well the trailhead is in town =) Tomorrow, I'm going to do a longer route that takes in Green Mountain and Bear Mtn. Should be close to 5 hrs. My "sherpa" is planning on making us some sandwiches so its a sandwich warrantied distance.

This morning it snowed.

The coming out of retirement party last evening was quite delicious. The coach and her husband came, the roommates, and the lady were all treated to my culinary skilz. I believe they all reached enlightenment, atleast I hope through my flavors of India experience. I did Chicken Tikka Masala, Chana Masala, and Palak Paneer, Basmati rice, and homemade naan.

chow,
Bearclaw

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on having a wicked cool younger brother.
David