300x250

23 October 2008

Thankful to be in Colorado...

Today started off a little nippy, 26 degrees but it quickly warmed this afternoon to upper 50s/low 60s and not a cloud in the sky. Gotta love CO! Started my core strength stuff this morning. Its a ritual of mine, kind of a turn to focus on the rebuild. Next season is still a long way off and I'm still planning on a two-week, no-bike break but right now, I'm enjoying some good riding weather and having with my cross rig. I can definitely tell the cross thing has helped build the strength as the workout this morning was hard but I completed it which is a good sign. I'm going to do a lot of strength work this fall/winter which was a key component I missed out on last year b/c the focus was mainly on getting back into form and getting faster. In my own shallow assessment, I have noticed some definitional gains in the quads. What? Elite cyclists have finely shaped legs, so I need to start somewhere after nearly everything was lost last year.

As part of the cross-training I hike up Mt. Sanitas this afternoon. You can take in some of the sights below. Its a pretty strenuous hike for only being 3mi and the trailhead being in town. Get this, I road my bike to the trailhead. I thought that was pretty cool. Not many people out when i hit the dirt at 2:45, but by the time I returned around 4, the street was packed with about 10x as many cars. Only in Boulder do you get so many hikers on a Thursday afternoon. But the weather was pretty awesome.

Check out the new Velonews article, Legally Speaking. Bob Mionski, the author, is using the story of Diana and myself and our incident last year and the subsequent follow up. So you could say, I'm kind of a big deal now.
http://velonews.com/article/84505/legally-speaking-with-bob-mionske---the-brutality-of-the

Chow,
matthew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good article by mr bob. spread the word

michael