300x250

12 October 2008

Cross On Part Deux

Weather was all cross yesterday...misty rain, cold temps, and just damn dreary outside. I've always loved the nasty days. For me it always brings out my best because I know that everyone else hates it. Nothing like getting super muddy and wet on your bike. I think the race went better than the results indicate. Still waiting on that callup but to no avail. Next time I am going to register a little earlier so that atleast I can get a crack at not starting deep. As the gun went off, or the official's whistle in this case, I struggled like a newbie getting clipped in. Had to kill it to make back some spots. First few laps on the course were tough getting around the slower riders. Again, I felt super strong and could just power past people. Super fun=) Running portions and remounts are getting better. On the last turn, I caught a RockyMounts-Izze rider and gave him the Bearclaw look and sprinted past. He didn't contest. They have me down as finishing 20th. I thought I was more like top-5 or top-10. The only RockyMounts-Izze rider listed near me was 13th. So the results are suspect. Ohh well...

So my plan didn't go accordingly to plan but it doesn't always fall that way. Next weekend is a different story. I'm really digging the cross thing. Its such a different way of racing than road races or criteriums. A welcome change. The biggest difference is that I can just power by people and I don't get a reaction. Maybe everyone is on the rivet but in road races you never let stuff go like that b/c drafting is so important. Some might call me a sandbagger but I'm just having fun and I enjoy giving the look to people as if to challenge them to follow me. Its kind of fun. Totally demoralizing for the other but motivational for me.

The first racing with the next drivetrain setup was butter. can't go wrong with DA-9 in the mud. Single 42t with a 12-25 on the rear gave plenty of range. But i'm questioning the future of the SPD pedal on my setup. I spent way too much time trying to clip in. Cleat and shoe were getting all gunked up with mud. I don't think its completely a shoe thing since they are solid Sidi dominators. So I'm opening up for recommendations....

Bearclaw

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see you are mountain biking -- it is way better than being on paved roads any ol' day. Before you know it, you'll be adventure racing :)

Hope to see you up here in November

Jenny

Anonymous said...

jenny's post is suspect. she has an unforgiving bias towards mountain biking.

-michael