300x250

25 September 2007

C-Day + 37...back in the saddle

I'm back baby! After 8 weeks of zen like patience, I was able to get my neck collar off last Thursday. The doctor said that the bones look good and I can resume normal activity such as cliff jumping, downhill racing, and crocheting. My neck has definitely suffered some atrophy but thats to be expected I guess when you have a supporting mechanism on your neck for 8 weeks! I feel incredibly free now but realize too that I am extremely lucky.

Yesterday after I arrived home from TN, I took my old Trek for the first ride outside. The mission...to ride to Trader Joe's and pick up some food. As I rolled the bike out of the garage it was just very surreal that it was all happening. Sometimes you wonder if you will ever get to go riding again. When I threw my leg over the top tube it felt good, but strangely foreign. I guess when you don't ride a bike outside for 8 weeks, you lose a little bit of that ohh-so-sweet feeling. It definitely took the whole 15min ride to TJ's to feel normal on the bike again. I felt good descending and turning into turns. My shoulder is still weak and was apparent when I stood up to accelerate after a stop. I never realized how important your shoulders and arms are to everyday riding. I didn't push it too hard on the accelerations and it will be some time before I throw my bike in a some practice sprints but I'm back baby! Lost some definite fitness and strength but I pushed through it and will continue to pus through. Fitness and strength will return and will be above July 26 levels but it will take a lot of hard work....i'm ready though...

This morning I rode to work for the first time since July 25. It is such a better way to get around town and too work. I even no-handed it for awhile which was a good sign to me that I didn't lose a lot of balance. Felt good riding with the traffic also. Now I have to get a new bicicleta...

Chow,
Matthew

No comments: