300x250

06 October 2009

A Reflection of Reality

So it has been just over a month since the dream ended. What have I been up too? Or rather what have I not been up too. Namely, working. I began job searching in late July and today it still remains that...a search. I know things will have to turn around at some point. But it's pretty stressful and boring for me. My de facto office has become the Panera Bread here in Boulder which I set up shop in the morning, soak up the free wifi and amp myself on hazelnut coffee. I think I have a pretty credible background...even one that might be judged as unique. Unfortunately, uniqueness is not bringing home th bacon. Not exactly sure what can make my candidacy say "WOW," so any suggestion should be left as comments.

Since California I've been doing a little riding on the cross bike. Nothing serious, but I sourced out some cool trails in the Boulder Open Space. My hematocrit is slowly normalizing to the altitude. My technical and overall strength is better than last year but my recovery from hard efforts is not as good which I blame on the lower concentration of oxygen here. Or maybe I laid every bit on the line in Mecklenberg and left my German team with only enough strength to board that plane. I never remembering crushing myself so far into the pain cave day in, day out. I continue to believe it was the greatest 4 days of racing in my life.

I've gotten back into the full time cooking thing. Catered a friend's birthday party the other night for 20 people. A French theme was requested so I did my part, and it seems it went over well. Being the über self-critic, there are things I wasn't as pleased with but they are teachable moments. Next time it will be better. I did manage to pull off some awesome crêpes, self-made of course. Granola production is back in 50% production. I've sourced out a Costco membership so that should begin to help lower production costs and in turn provide greater product for you my consumers. Currently contemplating whether I should pull the trigger on culinary school which I was close to doing last year. Nothing better in a scheiß economy than to go to school and take on debt. Atleast it would give me a project to focus on and let me fulfill that dream to learn to cook better. Then you can hire me to cook deliciousness in your home =)


Here are some pics to enjoy as you read...
Kristi, Me, and the Palace of Fine Arts(self-timer portrait by me!)
Me, my Lady, and the view from the hill near my old stomping ground(another timer self-portrait by me!)
A Suspicious Me(a long arm self portrait)
Homemade Huevos Rancheros(one of my culinary artistry pics)
The German Consulate in SF(Kristi took this masterpiece)

chow,
Bearclaw

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to see you are back from your blogging vacation. i have an idea for the job hunt...you should go to culinary school and when you get out start up a restaraunt. hire kristi as the hostess with the mostess and it will do great. seriously though...i think you would do great at it.

Matthew Barrowclough said...

what do you think she would charge for pay?

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's good to see you're back at the blog again! Hang in there--your tenacity will pay off. As my dad always says, good things happen to good people. =) And nothing that comes easily, is worth having, right?

Thanks for the shout out, "Anonymous". I've definitely done a little hostessing in my day. And Matthew, I'm sure we could cut a sweet deal. ;)
love ya,
Kristi

Anonymous said...

charge for pay???? probably alot, but i'm sure she would be worth it. just keep an eye on her and keep her cigarette breaks to under 5 minutes every hour. no problem for the shout out kristi. i did not realize i forgot to sign last time.

-michael

Anonymous said...

glad to see an update matthew! hang in there! you are always good about making things happen! : ) culinary school sounds like a good fit for you. keep me updated. i could use some food making skills/tips. love ya,

lauren

Anonymous said...

Thanks Michael! =) Only 5 minutes an hour for my Virginia Slims? I've been tryin' to quit, so maybe that's what it's gonna take. Yeah, Culinary School sounds like a good plan to me--especially if I can be your guinea pig!!
Ciao,
Kristi