300x250

17 August 2009

Rockin' the Summer

The summer was rockin' me yesterday in Ruhlzheim...37˚C is no cat's meow for my American peeps, that is 98.6˚F. It was 93 in the shade. It was so hot that when you were in the field protecting yourself from the wind you are unknowingly entering the Rheinland-Pfalz inferno. I remember going into a turn on the 2k circuit safely protected from the wind only to blasted by hellish streak of Death Valley badness. I never thought that riding in the wind would actually keep your core body fresher. I tried to test this theory by following several attacks in hopes of getting into the breakaway so that I could spend more energy in the legs and get myself in the wind some. It finally worked out on the 6 lap to go when I went solo after countering the prime sprint. I was making good headway and keeping my body cool with all the wind in my face on the 2 leaders up ahead. With 5 to go, 3 riders had bridged up. There wasn't much cohesion and after riding in the wind and in the break for 3 more laps we were swallowed up. At this point, motivation was pretty low and the energy I had just a few moments ago was quickly abandoned. I gave it a go in the finale but motivation was low and body was done. So what did I get? Top 25 with 160+. Nothing too spectacular. I've been trying to get into the break every race. Unfortunately every move I go with or counter I make is kabushed, but that is racing.

So how do you make amends and re-energize after a death march criterium? Well, you roll down to the ice cream dealer and get a double-scoop in a waffle cone. One must eat fast b/c 37˚ is no cats meow. Then you follow that with an concentrated carbohydrate liquid. It is referred around here as "Weizen" and for all you people out of the loop, that is a white yeast beer. Particularly delicious if it is from the town brauerei such as the Bellheimer Brauerei. Sorry no fotos but it was quite delicious.

Today, Marc gave Heinz and I the route tour for this Saturday's Ba-Wü Bergmeistershaft(mountain race). It's going to be all giggles on Saturday but not before I throw down on the Kappelberg, or maybe get thrown down. Depends on how well the muesli powers me through the race =)

Chow,
Bearclaw

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eat a scoop for me. Enjoy and be safe. Love, Mom