300x250

12 January 2009

The Countdown...

Well, the date of my leave is quickly approaching. Feb 16 is the official day. Its a little overwhelming with the prep work much of which doesn't include on-the-bike time. Still left to do...find storage for belongings and auto, find Mallorcan lodgings, get insurance, pack, pack some more, find apartment in Stuttgart, resolve computer situation(my iBook is dying)...

On the bike stuff is going well. Just finished my first big week, 19hrs. Thur I went up to the Camp Eden Training Center and did my plyo/VO2 workout. 9300' will put you in the pain cave. I'm pretty satisfied with current fitness. Strongest that I have ever been in Jan. So watch out =)

The week redux...lots of training and Kristi went with me to the Lafayette Oatmeal Festival. I love oatmeal and they had over 140 toppings. I also entered the oat baking contest with my Apricot-Almond Oat Scones with a blueberry reduction sauce. I received several compliments but no ribbon. After careful debriefing with Kristi it was agreed upon that I should have entered the healthy category. Being the athlete/health conscious person, I can drop 12 tbs of butter in my scones or 2 cups of sugar. The judges sweet tooth ruled mine out. They were sweet but not overpowering. Good for energy not extra skin in the hips. Ohh well, I just have to market better to my market. it was fun, and it definitely brought out my competitive side. I got a little joshing from my lady after I explained to the senior citizen about my scones as she made scones too. I guess you can take the person out of the game but not the game out of the person.

So its snowing pretty good today. Hopefully they will groom in town for some skate skiing.

chow,
Matthew

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bearclaw, I can't believe you were about to sabotage that poor old woman by pouring onion powder on her scones! Glad I was there to stop you. ;-)

Your scones were muy delicioso--a definite blue ribbon in my book!

~Kristi (aka the sherpa)

Anonymous said...

i detect a hint of bias in the "sherpa's" judging of your scone.

-michael

Anonymous said...

Maybe just a tad. =) Actually the pecan, raisin, oat scones he made this week were better. Just watch, by the time your wedding rolls around, his scone-making skills will have surpassed those of ANY senior citizen at an bake-off!

~Kristi

Anonymous said...

I like the valuable info уou suρply on your articles.
I will bоokmaгk your weblog and test again right heгe frequеntly.
I am reasonably certain I will be informeԁ lots of
new ѕtuff right here! Best of luck for the following!



My ωeb ρage - Altec Boom Trucks
My web page ... bucket truck