300x250

25 January 2009

~22 Days~

So the pleasant and uber delightful weather we had last week, 60s and sun are all but a distant memory. Snow today, snow tomorrow and cold all week. Reality of January is back. Hit the trainer this afternoon. It was a struggle like all days on the trainer. I love to train but riding my bike is what I enjoy. Tomorrow 3-6" of powder. Perhaps a little mtn bike action on the road and then some skate skiing. Might be hitting the North Boulder Rec Center for some final strength tuneups before the Euro Adventure.

So today marks 22 days until I board British Airways and fly to the motherland of velo racing. When I went to Belgium in 2007 it was easy, I was going to be gone for 5 weeks and it all encompassed one weather season. This year's program presents a new set of challenges. For those of you who know me well, I like challenges but it can be a little daunting. Now its pack for late winter/spring/summer. Keeping in mind that I travel uber light, it still poses a few challenges to escape the excess baggage fees which I refuse to ever pay. The team is providing me with a new frame. Not sure of the maker but its free. I have to provide the gruppo, wheels, etc. I'm going to bring the Lemond, current racing rig, as a backup and training ride until I get the new frame. Below is a tentative list of items to be brought over. Please feel free to suggest additional stuff. Keep in mind that I will be returning to the states for my brother's wedding in June. Not sure if any time trials as that would encourage me to bring the TT bike.

Bike Stuff
Lemond Zurich
DT Swiss Monchassral 1450 Wheelset
Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheelset 12/27 cassette
1 DA Gruppo
1 12/25 cassette (additional)
1 11/23 cassette (additional)
1 DA 10sp chain
Chamois cream (2x)
Rudy Project Actyum helmet
Training kits~old~ (2x) This could change if I get my new clothes as soon as I arrive
Cycling vest
Rain cape
Warmers: arm, knee, leg
shoe covers
cycling shoes
compression tights
compression socks
lots of riding socks

Hoping this all fits in my bicycle travel case. I have about 14lbs to work with before tipping the scale to extra pounds of dough out of the pocket.

And of course I will be packing a skeleton crew of non-ride clothing. Probably pick up some G-Star Unit and some euro shoes. I do need to get a nice piece of neck bling that I can let hang out when i'm sprinting. And of course any interviews will always talk about the "good sensations" I had in the legs when I attacked.

I'm already giddy like a kid on Christmas morning...
chow,
Matthäus

ps. I figure I should start adding as much german to my daily life as possible so its not complete insanity. I just learned how to type special german characters and I am now on Lesson 3 of my audio Pimsleur method of german language.

2 comments:

Christopher Cummings said...

I WOULD ADD EMBROCATION CREAM TO THAT LIST. WET GERMAN CONDTIONS

Christopher Cummings said...

CONDITIONS