300x250

27 March 2008

Colorado Phenomena

The longer I have lived here, the more I realize that anything is possible here in Colorado. Case in point, yesterday we had bright, sunny skies with temps in the upper 60s. Lots of wind, damn systems from WA! Woke up this morning @730 after a brilliant night of sleeping to look out the window and see the white stuff. Not its coming down pretty good. It won't last and the roads will be eerily dry. But it puts a giant cblock in my planned motorpacing with shawn this morning. Now I could be a hard-a beligian and go out and ride 5hrs. But I'd prefer not to get sick right now. Will hit it up later today for some tempo riding.

My form and fitness continue to improve. I've been pretty tired lately but I'm still able to put in solid workouts. With Gila being the first big objective of the year, I will be taking a lighter week prior to the start on Apr 30. If my past experience of resting tells me anything, we should time it perfectly to peak. Yesterday, Shawn had me mix up the threshold intervals with changes in power throughout each 20min interval. It was different than my prior intervals but was good. I felt better throughout the interval and was able to keep my overall power higher for the 3 intervals with only a 2w decay b/w the first and the 3rd so the intervals were pretty spot on. I spoke with her and we both agreed thata next week we will kick it up a notch but also throw in surges in the interval to mimic attacks. Which is where I have usually had trouble with on the crit scene but will pay dividends in the hills.

The winner from Sunday's criterium was none other than Henk Vogels of Toyota-United. Found out later that there were 100 in the field. Not bad for a sunday afternoon criterium. They still don't have results up. It will probably be another Metro State deal which charges you to race then gives you no results. Damnit I want my prizes that i won b/c I know I killed the tt and was a top-3 if not 1. Probably a lost cause with these college teams.

Last night I got my Julia Child on. Originally I was going for pumpkin scones but then i found this cake baking pan in the cupboard and decided i will make a cake instead. Cake being the british term. Its not "american" style cake, but more of a moist bread goodness. Pretty healthy with no butter but still incredibly moist and fluffy. It reminded me of my lunch at my british friends house in Le Rivier de Ornon, ie the King of the Mountains crew.

Matthew's Pumpkin Bran Cake
2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/3 cup of molasses(or use brown sugar)
1 tbs of pumpkin spice
1 cup of non-fat vanilla yogurt(i prefer dannon b/c low sugar)
1/4 tsp of salt
1.5 cups of raisin bran cereal
1/2 cup of skim milk
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 cup of pumpkin puree
Secret ingredient: 1/2 cup of coconut milk
1/2 cup of egg wash

Combine dry ingredients, molasses and spices and fold together thoroughly. Should form small clumps. Combine pumpkin, milk, and coconut milk and stir together. Fold wet ingredients in and stir together. Don't overstir. Brush tops with egg wash. Place in cake pan or roll out into small biscuits and cook for 20min in a preheated 400deg oven.

You can also drizzle sugar or maple syrup on the top before cooking for a little glaze look and added sweetness, I did =) I also added vanilla protein powder(1cup) but that can be omitted, thats for the training cyclist in me =)

Chow,
Matthew

No comments: