300x250

22 October 2007

A Long Morning in the Saddle

Friday I went for my first long ride, 2hr 15min on my mtn bike out to Mill Valley. The weather was pretty nasty with rain and wind with brief breaks. I decided to do my part and not destroy trails in the rain so I stuck to the road. It was a nice ride regardless. Legs felt pretty good at the end, like I had finally done something.

This weekend was a typical beautiful San Francisco October days...warm temps, and clear skies. I spent the whole time on the boat running other sailing coaches around on a 500hp Mako runabout. Definitely wanted to go out riding but the calls of college youth took over and I spread my sailing wisdom onto them. Unfortunately, I didn't get through enough and they finished 2nd to Univ of Hawaii.

Caught up with my good friend Ceal from SoCal this weekend. Good times talking bikes, racing, and life. After returning from racing yesterday, I made a nice eggplant marinara.

Eggplant Marinara
1 can of organic diced tomatoes
1 cup of chopped basil
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 small onion
1 tsp of salt and pepper
1/4 cup of good red wine
5 slices of eggplant, 1/3" thickness
1/2 cup of shredded carrot
1 tsp of red chili flakes
1/3 cup of diced zuchinni
4 tbsp of EVOO
Fresh parmesan

Saute onion, zuchinni, and carrots in 1 tbsp of EVOO. After 5 min, add garlic, saute until fragrant. Add tomatoes in food processor and blend, but not too thin. Add to onion mixture. Turn heat to low. Add salt,
pepper and chili flakes and 2 tbsp of EVOO. Continue to simmer on low heat 10min. Add wine and simmer for another 12-15min so sauce thickens. While sauce is simmering, place eggplant slices with 1 tbsp of EVOO in pan and saute till softened. Add basil to sauce and cook additional 5min. Add sauce to top of eggplant and cook for another 5min, stirring.

Top with fresh parmesan and enjoy!

No comments: