300x250

06 June 2007

A well deserved day off the bike


Had a frustrating kermessee yesterday. Not enough sleep and I wasn't paying attention enough and missed the break early on. Ony 27 riders started the race! Just down the road was a pro kermessee which allows pros and any belgian racing license holders to race, hence the 268 riders in the start. Several big names were in the race, Boonen, McKewen. With top 30 riders getting paid for the racing, I was in the money. So atleast I ended up with 10euro prize money.

Today, I took the complete day off the bike and went into Ghent for a little touristing, namely just walking around a little, drinking some coffee and taking a few photos. It was nice and relaxing and allowed me to regain the focus I will need to keep going strong. I did ride 5 min to the market on the house town bike to pick up some groceries for dinner. I made indian curry tofu with green peas and curry chickpeas with some basmati rice. It was a little difficult finding all the ingredients but I did a quick internet search to find the Dutch equivalent for the english names. Holly and Gregg and their friend Kim from Canada enjoyed it. Nice to spread some of my culinary skills across the pond. Still need some work on my indian food though.

Living abroad is a great experience, but for anyone who has done it understands its not always easy like sunday morning style. Cooking tonight was good for me. It allowed me to get back into what I remember in California as well as cooking food that I am used to eating regularly helps. Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying myself here, but like anyone who has raced bikes before, knows that somedays, you feel like you could win Le Tour and other days you just don't have it. So much of the game is mental. Mental strength and the ability to pursue through adversity is what makes great champions. More and more elite athletes are turning to psychology coaches to help them overcome sidesteps in their competition. I know its one of the areas of my training were I have not fully explored. I did recently read a sports psychology book which gave some great mental strategy exercises. Unfortunately, its not as easy as 1,2,3. Its something that has to be practiced regularly. Today's trip for me was a decompression. The race starts late tomorrow, 6pm! Bike racing is hard, but more than anything its fun, and that is how my focus is going to be. When you are having fun, you do well.

Its going to be a good one tomorrow b/c Gregg will be racing with me. Although the racing is still the same, racing with people you know always makes things a little different, perhaps a little more calming. Not really sure...I guess that will have to wait until another entry.

tot ziens,
matthew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like might have added another arrow in your quiver of understanding. The psychological aspect to cycling - or anything for that matter - is such a huge part that's often overlooked. Decomp day is as important for the legs as it is for the mind. Have lots of fun and get ready to R-O-C-K tomorrow. I'm cheering for you from this side of the pond! Ceal