300x250

27 June 2007

Testing my legs before Vaujany




Well, I arrived at my hotel yesterday in Les Oigiers which is about 9km from Bourg d'Osians. We are nestled right in on the side of the mountain with an incredible vista outside my window to the rock clifs of the opposing mountain side. The hotel is called, Hotel Au Bon Accueil. Its owned by a dutch couple and caters to mainly dutch. Which means dutch magazines and dutch food. I am the youngest person here by atleast 12 years. The average age is probably mid-40s. I think there is only one woman staying here so its basically a bachelor pad for dutch guys who just want to cycle with their buddies and get away from their wives and girlfriends. I'm here to train and enjoy some alpine bliss. The hotel is pretty unique. They cater to cyclists during the summer months and skiers during the winter. Its a pretty isolated joint but ohh well, I have been too exhausted from riding to do much of anything else. They provide a breakfast, pasta buffet in the late afternoon and a 3 course dinner. All the food is geared towards cyclists, so its good energy source. I have been eating with a dutch guy who is super nice and speaks perfect english. So thats been nice. The breakfast has lots of coffee which is such a welcome compared to the rest of France which dabbles in espresso servings. Maybe I just have a dangerous addiction now to coffee. Ohh well, it could be worse...right? I made it to the pasta buffet yesterday and they had a curry pasta sauce. It was pretty tasty, but my judgment was jaded since I missed lunch b/c of my bus ride up from Grenoble and my 3 hours of riding prior as Nettie would say.

Yesterday, I decided I just wanted to do a little climbing to try to preview some of the course for Sunday's race. Its pretty much the pro way of doing things. I rode back in Bourg d'Oisans and then headed toward Villard Reculas. The climb up to VR was pretty steep and long, about 15km with an average of 7% and more in some spots. VR is a nice alpine village with great access to skiing. The views are immpeccable. I stopped several times along the route to take some photos. On this ride, i took more photos then I did in all of Belgium. As my dutch friend would say, belgium is ugly. Its not necessarily ugly but its just plain with farm land everywhere and completely flat. From VR, I took the road to Le Alpe d'Huez which connects in a small village just before switchback 6. Le Alpe d'Huez has 21 switchbacks and the numbers count down as you ascend. I will take on the whole route on Sunday's race. Several photographers are in place on the climb and take your photo for you. I tried to look as pro as possible so hopefully some of them turn out well. After passing switchback 1, and ascended into the village of Le Alpe and continued on up so I could take on the final selection of the route of Le Tour. Then I cruised back down and got a grand cafe from one of the cafes in the village. Afterwards I checked out the cycling store adjacent. Lots of cool goodies. Finally, it was time to descend so I could get some much needed food from the pasta buffet. The descent from the top is pretty fast but you have to be careful b/c its hairpin switchbacks all the way down, 21 to be exact. It was definitely fun though. After finishing my ride, I decided I would test myself on Wednesday by following the Marmotte cyclosportiv course minus Le Alpe. The course covers 5000m of vert in 175km.

This morning I ate a healthy, but fueling breakfast for the epicness that would turn into my day. Rolled out of the hotel at 9:30 and headed towards the first part of the day, Allemont. Allemont is a beautiful alpine village with a large lake next too it. It was very beautiful, but not before taking a wrong turn and climbing a few kms in the wrong distance. I will call this extra fun part 1. I made it back to my route and saw the signs for the first beast of the day, the Hors Categorie, Col de La Croix de Fer. This is a beast of a climb at close to 30km in length and averaging over 7.5% with some sections as high as 12%. Its a beautiful climb through mainly wooded sections before opening up on a plateu which was incredible open and beautiful. From there I was able to throttle it nicely, perhaps a little too much as time would tell. I rode across several shepards with their flocks(?) of sheep. I thought that ended in Biblical times but it still exists b/c I saw two more. Now this wasn't just a handful of sheep. There had to be over 1000. It was quite the sight to see the dogs heard them. Got some nice photos of it. Finally I crossed the summit of the Col de La Croix de Fer(2067m). I ate the first part of my cheese baguette I made from breakfast and took with me illegally(not suppose to make lunch from breakfast spread). The road dropped pretty quick and put me in a ski village before descending some more. At this point, you have two options, 1)continuing descending for another 25km or 2)climbing another 10km up to the Col de Mollard(2050m). Feeling the need to do it right, I took option two. It was good climb. Pretty steep but a nice view. Small ski village at the top. Then its a fast descent into the city of St Jean-de-Maurienne. From here I took a slightly alternative loop and grabbed a coke and ate the rest of my baguette. Now I am out of food after eaten my banana on the ride up Le Croix. Ohh well...I had money.

From St Jean-de-Maurienne its a spotty ride along the motorway. Here enters extra fun part 2. I took a wrong exit and rode around for about 30min trying to find my way. Finally I asked a french mechanic and he told me where to go in french. I guess I understood b/c I am writing from my bed tonight. From the motorway its a straight shot to the St Michel where I grabbed a large roll which I thought was sweet but was actually an olive infused creation of deliciousness. Good salt intake to prevent cramping. From St. Michel its a steady climb of 12km to Col de Telegraph a Categorie 2 climb which is often featured in Le Tour as apparent by all the painting on the road. I strangely didn't see my name as a sign of encouragement during my battle. Legs felt pretty good on this climb which averages b/w 5-8%. I rode nearly the entire ride from the saddle and found a great tempo and just dialed. I think I discouraged many riders b/c I would ride by looking effortlessly with a smile on my face and a nice, "bonjour" as they looked to be suffering terribly. Everyone has those moments when they are feeling awesome but they also know how all those riders felt just suffering. I would have mine before the end. At the top of the Telegraph I took a few shots of the sign to prove I was there then bombed down to the ski village of Valloire. At this point its getting cloudy and is very chilly despite arm, knee warmers and my windvest which I had on for the entire ride. Could have used some newspaper or a team van with extra clothing. Not so fortunate though.

From Valloire its one last battle, like the last stage of Zelda or facing Mike Tyson in Punchout after slaughtering all the weaker characters like King Hippo. My opponent wasn't a game, it was real and it played a game with me. Its name was Col de Galibier. One of the most decisive cols used in Le Tour. Sitting atop at 2646 meters high. The route up was unrelenting 7-14%. Its 16km from Valloire. Just to add to the climax, the weather was incredibly cold, windy and was lightly raining. All adding to the epicness. The b******* put up signs along the route to let you know how much more you have and what the gradient is. These are always longer than the concrete ones fixed on the road. I was feeling pretty drained at this point with 125km in my legs already and 3 cols after not eaten much at all. I battled hard. I was able to get 3 little bars from a another rider and a van following a group of riders. Then I stopped for a coke at this little hamlet near the summit and paid 2,30euro for a coke. But damn did it taste good. they made their own cheese at this place but I guess they had to subsidize their cheese industry with overpriced sodas. But desperate times call for desperate measures. Onward I went. But it was probably the most taxing climb I have ever done. Partly b/c of the cold and the snow that was falling and the road that never seemed to end. then add in my lack of calories available, it was becoming my truest test of character. Finally I saw the sign for the summit in the foggy, snowy air. I took my photo and had a moto rider take one of me. then I went down. No time for pictures I had 50 more km to get home and it was absolutely freezing. The first part of the descent is pretty technical with high speeds and no room for error on the side. From the descent you roll over the Col de Lautaret(2058m), then its wide open descending for the next 30km through 5 tunnels some close to 1km long. that was pretty weird at first. By now, I knew I was home free, or atleast I thought so. I had to stop and get a coke for some last minute energy to complete the descent and short 4km climb back to the hotel. Finally, I saw the 1km sign to the hotel, and my eyes lit up then I saw the 300m sign and all I could think was "I MADE IT!...I MADE IT!!!" It was one of the most exciting, emotional and rewarding times on the bike. There were so many time on the Galibier that i thought I was going to crack. So another arrow in my mental strength quiver.

Throughout my entire trip in the Alps I have been good at taking lots of photos because the vistas are just too incredible to pass up. I was really good at taking photos until I descended the Col de Telegraph. At this point, it was pretty chilly then I hit the climb to the Col de Galibier. All thoughts of picture taking were out the drain, it was about survival.

Worst part of the day...I missed the pasta buffet b/c I was late. Fortunately dinner was served rather soon. They had a "dutch bbq." All things dutch. I opted for one disgustingly overcooked beef patty(for protein) and a leg of bbq chicken. I suplemented with lots of fresh greens, apple sauce, fruit cocktail, pineapple, and a dry bake potato along with a baguette. Not ideal, but the ride took the hunger out of me. I guess b/c I went beyond what I thought my limit was.

Totals for the day: 190km, 6500kJs(8500 calories), just under 8 hours and 4700m of climbing. or 118mi with 15420ft of vert.

Au Revoir

No comments: