300x250

14 June 2007

Lots of kms and Belgian directions

Writing from inside my digs in Oslene and watching some american programming. No matter where you go in this world it doesn't seem like you can escape from American music or movies. When I arrived home last night I thought about giving you a two for wednesday blog entry but I couldn't muster it up. The bike has had a stranglehold on me the last few days like a jealous girlfriend. I guess that is why I have been human relationship free for over a year now. Not to worry, I have my bike which is always happy to see me and never complains =)

Yesterday I did the kermesse in Zerkegem which is in West Vlanderdaan about 55km from my lodging. I was able to get Gregg and Holly to drop me off the motorway on their way to the coast with their friend Kim. Plan was to ride home after the race and make it a long day in the saddle. I made my way to the registration at the bar and then quickly rode to the start area. Still had about 1hr20min to the start. So I thought I would do a warmup and follow the course to figure what kind of hurt I should expect. Well, I was able to follow it for about 2k then I took a right instead of a left. Who runs counterclockwise courses anyways? Well the Belgians do. So I proceeded to ride clear out of the area. The host village was really small and wasn't even on a map. I ended up riding for an hour or about 25k getting lost. I asked for directions twice but belgians aren't the best with directions in English. Finally I saw a guy in a club kit and caught up to him and asked. Finally I was on the right track back but only had 20min to get my number on, hide my bag, and get psyched up for riding. Well I already psyched up...adrenaline pumping b/c I was getting lost and jamming it around the middle of nowhere. it would have been really bad had I missed the start b/c I was the 12th registrant out of 75. Made it back and got my number on, ate my banana then asked a belgian if I could throw my bag in his car. He was nice and allowed me too. I had my iPod and food in the bag for the ride home so it would have been bad if it got stolen. Made it to the start and got an nice 2nd row position.

The race started out fast as usual with lots of early attacks. Lots of riders from the cycling center and a USA national team rider. I was feeling good and tried following some of the attacks. I new it was early but I wanted to be near the front all day in case something good worked out. After recovering a bit from the attacks, I decided to follow the wheel fo the national team rider b/c he looked pretty strong and has done the belgian thing for awhile. That was workign really well and I was picking up on some suttle moves that made his progressions throught the peloton smoother. I have since incorporated into my own plan and I like the results so far. You can learn a lot from people by just watching. I guess thats how I have learned a lot about cycling and sailing for that matter. find someone better than you and try to mimic their actions. Unfortunately, he broke a spoke about 1/3 of the way through the race in his Kysirium SLs. My Ksyirium Elites(1/2 the cost) are holding up beautifully, thanks Colin and Aaron! With the change in game plan I decided to be a little more proactive in the race. Bridged to one break but didnt have the legs to keep in going and I let some gaps open up. Got some yells, ohh well. Back in the chase group I got into a shoving match with this belgian prick.

Things settled down and i was feeling good and we had a nice rotation going. When the announcer yelled, "de lasta rhonde" I positioned myself 2nd wheel. The guy on the front rode the complete final lap on the front. I sat in keeping an eye on the edgy opposition behind me. Over 6.6km loop, I think i played each possible scenerio in my head to exhaustion. I know my sprint isn't the best so i figured I would take the group before the sprint and atleast give myself a shot at finishing in the money. The last 700m, i decided to give it a go. I jumped but didn't get what I needed and took a really aggressive lefty on the final turn. Started sprinting but the guys behind me played me like a fiddle and I got duped. Ohh well. The mistake I made was not going earlier. If I didn't go earlier then I should have waited to the last lefty and shot out b/c everyone had to slow b/c of the tight speed bump turn. No worries, eventually it will all play out well for me. So I am now 4/8 in finishing the kermesses. My fitness level has taken a big jump but more importantly, my head is excited and in the game. I think in the beginning over overloaded the system with too much training and racing. Racing is definitely stressful but I know I can hang with these guys.

The racing was only the first part of the yesterday's adventure. So after 112k, I still had 50-60km home. I brought my map and it looked like a pretty easy route home. Ohh contrare...I made it to Torhout which is about 1/3 the way. Like I previously mentioned there is never any good signage here so sometimes its a total gamble. Fortunately it paid off for me yesteday with out any major misdirects. Rolled into a small village and find these two nice women. no english, but one offered to lead me on her bike to the intersection. From there she pointed me in the direction to Pettegem which is near Tielt which is 15km from home. Made a few excursions on the motorway, yes mom there was a bikelane but cars are still rolling at 90k/h. Returned home just after 8pm. 166km for the day. felt good all day and glad to get the long time in. should help me in the p/1/2 races when I return.

today, i took an easy ride to Kortrijk, 2hours along the canal. Legs were feeling the last two days of training and racing. not getting a good sleep last night also contributed to the fatigue. Since part of the euro pro lifestyle includes napping I decided to follow my birthright and napped for just over an hour this afternoon. But didnt fall asleep but felt good to lay down. tomorrow is rest day with an easy hour in the morning. Racing on saturday in the Sint Dinis Gevelgem.

tot ziens,
matthew

No comments: