300x250

25 May 2007

Heathrow Health Tips

Writing to you from stolen wifi in the village of Westmeerbeken...pretty small place. The house I am staying at is good. No wifi in the house. Have to ride 2km down the rode to get it. Ohh well. There are two other guys in the house with me, a brit and a scott. I am going to go riding to Leuven today. Its a larger town just east of Brussels. Probably about 30km from here. I saw lots of cafes and young people when I got off the train yesterday in the town.

So my Heathrow health tips...Apparently there are no public clocks in Heathrow so you are pretty much on your own for keeping track of time. Since losing my watch on a ride back in Feb I have been going with only the clock on my mobile. No mobile with me so no clock. I went to find a toilet while waiting for my flight from Heathrow to Brussels yesterday. When I walked into the bathroom I saw a sign for a shower. So I followed the path and ran into this indian woman who was cleaning the aiport. I inquired about the shower and she said, "need towel?" Well I thought I didnt need one and wasn't about to pay 3pounds for a towel. So i said no and asked how much was the shower...She hesitated and finally said very sketchy like, "1euro or 2dollar" I said well, I have 2dollar." Basically I paid for a black market shower b/c she totally pocketed the money. It was a super nice experience and highly recommend it when travelling through Heathrow.

Barely made it to my gate afterwards. Attendants were too pleased with me...oh well, all the clocks on the monitors read 11:38. But I made it and was even able to exchange my 50 deatche marks that I had since my trip to Berlin in 1999. Why did I have them in my wallet? Dont' know I guess an insanely amazing foresight in my part =)

Chow,
Matthew

1 comment:

kitchen sink said...

just don't look like a tourist. ;) good luck traveling!