300x250

26 May 2007

first Kermi part deux

I found shelter next the bakery. Yes, my house which I was promised doesn't have wifi or anything to speak of. I am working on changes places right now, so wish me luck. Although this is suppose to be an entirely racing trip, i think I will go crazy if I don't have some access to the outside world during all the downtime. Not even a cafe near my house!

Part 2: Race started out pretty fast as standard for Belgians. 91 riders. So to enter, you make your way into a smokey bar and you hand them your license and pick up your two numbers, jersey and bike numbers. Then you pay your 8euro. You get 5euro back if you return you bike number. So now I have a belgium license and some 2nd hand smoke before my first race. I made it up to the top 10 on the first lap and was feeling good then I got boxed in on the flat section. Race was fast, like p/1 fast and never letting up. The whole course was strung out in a line. no bs'ng as per US style. My heartrate was pegged the last two laps.

As far as the scenery goes for racing its pretty 1st class. The bar is the center of all the racing. The whole town comes out and is drinking and cheering on the riders as they go buy. They even have programs that list all the riders and their numbers. When I was warming up I saw all the old women checking me out. Apparently there is some betting going on. Hope I didn't make anyone lose a lot =) They have a video moto driver and 3 lead cars, then the riders followed by an ambulance and a sweeper van. Its pretty crazy.

Two Unibet riders went 1-2 after making a huge break on the last lap. About 40 riders finished. I didn't feel so bad b/c there were a lot of locals that got dropped. Tomorrow is another race.

Tot Ziens!
Matthew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?