300x250

01 September 2009

2009 Euro Campaign in the Books


Nostalgia has once again set in. I'm here in the Stuttgart Flughafen awaiting departure back to Boulder, CO. I can still remember the same moment when i was coming here back in February. In February, 6 months sounded like a long time. Half a year out of the country in a land I'm not familiar with, trying to speak a language I knew literally nothing about, and an untold number of new experiences I would encounter. To explain it all I would need to write a book(in the future) but I'm going to just highlight a few things that forever will impress upon me as I grow older.

Top Eleven Things (b/c 10 is too generic...in no particular order except the last one)
* I learned a new language
* I suffered like I have never suffered before in a race
* I discovered that küchen(cake) is a suitable pre-race food
* I learned what it's like to be part of a true team
* I saw many new lands and rode through countless villages sometimes at very high rates of speed other times not so
* I was part of a championship winning team
* I grew deeper into my relationships with those close to me
* I learned the SuperPrime is very difficult in the race
* I tried many new foods and developed a great appreciation for Schwäbisch food and Deutsche musik.
* I completed a full-season of racing in Europe
***I became part of a family, one that helped me, encouraged me, looked after me, spoke with me, and gave me the opportunity to fulfill my dream

Last October, the idea came to make this all happen. Until December, I didn't think I could pull it off. Thanks to all the people who made this happen: my parents and siblings, my ladyfriend Kristi, my friends Karl & Shawn, my team, and my Deutsche Familie, Die Sanwalds! It's amazing to think about what I have experienced over the last half-year. Ich gehe züruck nach Boulder, aber Ich bin ein Backnanger und Ich komme züruck =)


Now onto the next chapter of my life in Boulder with a great girl and the fondest of memories to share with all....

Auf Wiedersehen,
Matthew

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on all your accomplishments.

-michael

Anonymous said...

Love the pics Matthew! Especially the one with the little boy and the American flag! : ) Glad you are returning home! I can't wait to hear all about your adventure one day! Hope to see you soon!

Love,

Lauren

Anonymous said...

Matthew!!
Wir werden uns sicher wieder sehen!
We'll see us again. I'm sure!
Du bist immer Willkommen!

Gruß
Latzi

Anonymous said...

I like the list! I like 11, its a good number -my soccer # too :) Congrats on everything you accomplished! Im glad you are coming home and hope to see you soon!

Love,
Megan

Anonymous said...

What a truly AWESOME experience for you--and memories to last a lifetime! Welcome home, Bearclaw =)
Kristi

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories you will always have. An adventure that most people can't say that they did or even wanted to try. You were always one to try anything and to do it to the fullest. Welcome home to the good old US of A. Glad you are home SAFE. Love, prayers and lit candles, Your Favorite Mom