300x250

31 December 2007

Une Année à Se Sappeler

A year to remember which is the English translation. Not sure if the French say that or if its even its Francaise grammar proper(accent on the e), but this is my online message to the world so...

Well, I am closing out 2007 with a blog. A lot has happened this year, smiles, tears, fears, and many laughs. The eve of the New Year is always bombarded with new year prognastications and new year vows. Why do we put so much emphasis on this day to change our lives? Why don't we start making changes in our lives today, rather than talking about doing them tomorrow or the next day or the next week or the next month. Maybe it was Mark Twain that said "don't do tomorrow, what you can do today." Or perhaps it was some other literary figure or philosopher, but I like to think its a little bit of my own. Now a little digression..

On July 26, 2007 at approximately 4:30pm, I truck struck me and my friend from behind. We were both knocked unconsciously off of our velos and into a grassy and poisin ivy infested ditch, some 5m from the road. By all statistics and all evidence of my injuries, I should not be writing this blog or even considering a return to riding. But by a divine miracle, I received a contract extension and from the moment that I awoke stuggling to breathe in that poison ivy to this moment of blogging at la casa de parents in Tennessee I have had a renewed passion for life and for doing what makes you happy and brings good to the world. Will 2008 be any different? Yes, and its starting out rather quickly and full of adventure.

After several years of contemplation and all the desire to take my training and cycling to the next level, I have decided to take my chances and pursue my dream of going pro(or atleast racing at my highest potential). At the end of January, I am moving from the foggy Golden Gate to feet of the Rockies, Boulder. I have not been very good about relaying my news to everyone. It will be sad to leave so many great people I have met in CA but I'm confident they will be happy for me and hopefully understand eventually. Since my decision to move, I have had a resurgence in life. SF has been great to me, but life needs new challenges and experiences. You will have to keep posted on Bomb This Hill to get the play by play of my new life in the 90sq mi surrounded by reality(ie boulder).

Now that I have let the cat out of the bag, I'm going to go a little generic but with a twist.

Top 5 List of 2007 b/c a top10 list is too cliche and gets cumbersome =) I am going to use * so as to not rank any one in particular.
*Learning and Experiencing the Meaning of Family
*Getting Hit by a Truck and Surviving
*Going to Europe and Racing my Bike Without Knowing Any Flemish or French =)
*My Blog...Its awakened by inner writer and allowed me to share my thoughts with the world
*Creating Culinary Nirvana for My Family During this Holiday Season and During My Sister's Wedding Day!

Things to Avoid in 2008
*Westchester Medical Center
*Poison Ivy
*Negative and Nonpassionate People
*Auto Traffic Jams(see new 2008 adventure news)
*Blogging lapses

Well, I will close out 2007 to the World with a short note...

In the words of Mark Twain, "In Twenty Years, you will look back and be more dissappointed in the things you didn't do than the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

I know this isn't a Mark Twain fan site but I think its pretty good. My office mate Nettie hung it up on our door so its an everyday reminder for me. What can you do in 2008? I don't know but don't let the things that could happen drive your decisions but let the things that COULD HAPPEN drive them.

One last side note, my sister questioned my homemade turkey chili cooking tonight b/c I had no recipes. Well, I went for things I thought would go well and didn't think about total disaster but about total culinary envy from Megan. And I was right because it was the bomb chili of 2007!

Best Wishes, Good Food, Great Riding, and Great Memories to you all in 2008

Ciao, Adios, Bonne Journne!
Matthew

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's to '08!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hmmm blog lapse????

-megan